Windows 7...convincing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by longball11, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I know this is a Mac forum but i would like to see reactions. I'm hearing from alot of people that I know that say Windows 7 is really good and awesome. I hope it will not convince me to go back to Windows. I mean the reason I would go back if Windows 7 is that GOOD is because buying a PC from Dell or something is cheaper with higher specs including blu ray drives (I am a HUGE FAN of Blu Ray). What do you say? Am I getting ahead of myself? Why?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This might be best discussed in the Windows forums.

3. icecold0913 macrumors member

Windows 7 64 bit runs like a dream on my unibody MBP, and yes, it's substantially more efficient and easier to use than Vista. But, it's still not as good as OS X imo. I find myself only running it when I want to play a game or run Windows-specific software. Plus, it eats up the battery like crazy, partly because it can only use the 9600M GT graphics.

Overall, a solid offering from Microsoft.
    Will it make me switch back? No.

4. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Only one answer? Wow.. I guess Apple may lose a customer because I think Windows 7 is going to be HUGE. Anyhow, the blame will go to those who didn't try to convince me to stay. T.T

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why would I care if you switch?

I'm sure we wear different brands of shoes too, and yet we don't even bother trying to convince each other that ours are better. I don't try to "switch" people. I don't see any reason to convince computer users either, not unless they're genuinely interested and ask me about my Mac.

If you switch, have fun with Windows 7. If Windows 7 is develops into something much better than OS X, perhaps lots of people will be switching. Who knows? I'm not tied down to the OS by anything, although I do need to use some software that must be run on either Linux or OS X, and I don't like any Linux distro that I've ever used.

6. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Why do you need convincing to stay? You either like it better or you don't.

Since you already have an Apple product, why not run both systems on the same machine.

7. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Your logic and decision making processes are really warped.

S-

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Somehow I don't think you're an Apple customer (in terms of owning a Mac with Leopard) anyway. Let's see why I feel that way;
    You haven't even played with W7 yet, you are considering leaving OS X for something you haven't even tried yet, you are considering leaving OS X as if you have absolutely NO software tied to it, and if you were a true Mac user you would.
    Also, you posted this in a Mac forum when you could've easily had your questions about W7 answered in the "Windows on the Mac" forum, so in that respect I think you're trolling.
    Lastly, someone has posted telling you that while W7 is good, it's not worth dropping OS X for it. That post wasn't enough for you, you still are considering dropping OS X for W7 blindly, so again, sounds like you're trolling.
    Help yourself dude, switch back without even trying it first, it will be your misfortune.
    One more thing, while more functional, it's still "Windows". It's still has the Registry, it still has the difficult Device Manager, it still has the .DLL hell.

9. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

It's unfortunate what has to get people's attention these days....

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Look dude, you seem to have a fetish for getting a rise from the Mac forum, one example is you creating the bogus thread. I assure you, nobody here cares AT ALL if you leave OS X for W7. Your computer sits in YOUR house, not ours. We get nothing out of you switching platforms. Nobody's threatened here. You thought we'd feel threatened by you creating this thread? NO. You have no power here, we all got what you TRIED to accomplish. It didn't work. :p

11. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't switch to Windows until:
    1. it removes that damn registry
    2. it learns to deal with drivers without BSOD-ing
    3. it crashes and freezes less
    4. it includes a built-in complete uninstaller, so I don't have to use a third party one which will probably screw up some other programs because of some registry entries (which brings me up back to n.1) or leaves/removes some drivers that will create conflicts with some other driver(s) (which brings me back to n.2)

With Windows 7, n.1 won't happen, n.2 we still don't know but up to know hasn't happened, n.3 we still don't know (especially since a lot of programs don't work-it's still a beta-and keep crashing) and n.4 won't happen too.

12. longball11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

longball11

Heh, you never know that by me leaving apple for PC that Apple could be on its way to extinction and you'll be using only the last of what your current machine has. Then you'll think oh man we should have convinced that guy to stay with Apple. You never know what could happen!

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

14. Gatorman macrumors regular

Well...if you're leaving Apple, then I say "Fair Winds and Following Seas!" My fiancé will replace you. She was a DIE HARD Windows fan and her Compaq is dying in it's 3rd year of life. I took her to the Apple Store yesterday to look at a new Macbook. I told her after we get married, that's what we'll get her...and since it can dual boot both systems...she could use Windows if she really didn't like Leopard.

It took 5 MINUTES of playing with iPhoto and showing her some of the features to get her HOOKED! She kept saying "wow....that is REALLY cool!" She then looked at me, grinned, and said "you know, it's going to take me the whole summer to learn how to use this!" For the rest of the afternoon, she kept telling me how she couldn't wait to get that Macbook and how cool it is!

So, I say, go ahead...switch to Windows and leave Apple. You seem to like that option already. Granted, unlike the majority of people out there, I LOVE Vista! I think it's great and I can't wait to get my hands on Windows 7 to try it out. HOWEVER....I would NOT SWITCH to a PC for two reasons:

First, I love Mac OS X SO MUCH BETTER! It's more fun to use, easier, and just is organized well. It's a great product. It rarely gives me a problem and is incredibly stable. Handling and moving things in Windows can be such a pain. I do use Windows on occasion, when I need to use something for work that is only windows specific, or play a great new game that's only available on windows. However, those barriers are rapidly eroding.

Second, I love Apple's product durability. I would never buy a piece of PC hardware again. They just don't last very long. Yes, you can custom build them easier, but they all run out pretty quickly. Mac's seem to keep up with the times for the most part. My Powermac G4 400 is almost 10 YEARS old and is still running like a dream...after 6 years of HEAVY use! My MBP 2.14 works incredibly! The only reason I'd upgrade is because of cool new features! Since the switch to Intel, however, I think some of Apple's products durability have decreased, as I've had to replace my Logic Board, (my brothers have each had to have a major repair done on their MBP's, ironically enough.) Regardless, my MBP is holding it's own and still working like it did the day out of the box as opposed to the slightly older Compaq my fiance possesses.

So, in the long run...go, have fun and enjoy your new PC. Your departure will not cause the extinction of Apple, as new switchers will come over and try it out, like my fiancé. :D

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I plan to buy Windows 7 when it comes out to upgrade my Vista.

I'm still going to be using a Mac, so I don't see why Apple would be losing customers.

16. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Windows 7 is basically Vista without the Vista name. The biggest tweaks are UE ones, and there's really not that much new. Microsoft is releasing Windows 7 (and paying considerable amounts of money for good press) because Vista was such a failure; the sooner they get away from Vista and the bad press that surrounded it's launch, the better.

Of course loads of technically-savvy folks moved away from Windows before or right after Vista's launch, so Windows 7 is going to be released to a substantially less knowledgeable audience than Vista was. This means that people's impressions will likely be that "it doesn't suck as much as Vista did" -- and that's exactly what Microsoft is banking on. If Windows 7 fails, they're in some seriously hot water, so you can expect them to continue this "grassroots" hype as long as they can.

The problem, of course, will come when Windows 7 is released and used on typical consumer hardware. Microsoft is taking a gamble here, and they know it; people aren't going to run out and buy a new machine as they did for Vista's launch, thus the danger of releasing Windows 7 so soon is that it will be loaded onto hardware that has trouble running it. Right now hardware issues aren't widespread: geeks typically upgrade their rigs more often, and the average user doesn't know to handle downloading and burning an ISO. Up until release, Windows 7 will only really be run on good hardware. Most of the press isn't using a 2006 Dell w/ 1GB of RAM and a Celeron D. The average user, however, may be. How an OS scales down is every bit as important as how it scales up.

We'll know for sure when it's released. My gut feeling is that the rose-colored glasses will come off pretty quick once the reports come flooding in that "it's OK, but XP's better." That was, IMHO, the start of Microsoft's recent troubles -- XP was the first consumer OS that didn't completely suck, and people actually have gotten used to its quirks.

Then there's the issue of netbooks. Frankly, I think Microsoft should give up. They're screwed there. They don't have an OS that scales down to netbook hardware. Users are trying netbooks and finding Linux to be a good fit for the typical netbook task set (music, browsing, e-mail.) Sure, Microsoft's holding out with XP, but they don't really have a follow-up. Vista doesn't do well on a 1Ghz something with 512MB of RAM, and Windows 7 isn't much better.

We're facing some interesting times... and my money's on the next decade being one of *nix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.