Windows 7 disc question re: business licenses

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by catfish743, Jul 3, 2014.

1. catfish743 macrumors 6502

catfish743

I believe this is the most appropriate place in the forums to post this for help, but mea culpa if there is a better place to put it. Anyway.

I work for an insurance agency and we have 7 different HP computers that we use for our daily activities. However, my boss recently bought a Mac for business use and unfortunately we need to use parallels to use a piece of software. These 7 computers were purchased before I joined the company and so I am not aware about what licensing agreements are in place and where exactly our copy of Windows 7 is. I know that each computer has either 3 or 4 discs, I can't remember which number exactly, for recovery purposes, but I am not sure if we actually own a copy of Windows 7 that was put on these computers that could be used for this virtual machine or if we are going to have to purchase another one. Neither my boss nor my workers know the answer to this question. All of the computers are HP and were purchased at the same time through one retailer, I believe. I'm not sure where to go look on the windows machines to determine what licensing we have, whether it is a multi-user business type or what not, or if there are any legal methods to getting a physical copy of windows 7 to install it on the virtual machine. I will be more than happy to answer any more questions for anyone that can elucidate a path to a solution for my problem. I know what I have said is a bit convoluted, but I don't know any better way to state it.

Thanks for your help.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You would need to purchase a new copy of Windows for the Mac. The licenses on the HPs are tied to those machines.