Windows 7 does not boot with Boot Camp on Lion MBP i5 2.3 sandy bridge

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iRCL, Dec 11, 2011.

1. iRCL macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 x86 Ultimate using Boot Camp on my 13" MacBook Pro i5 2.3ghz Sandy Bridge with 8GB RAM and Intel HD 3000 graphics. My main OS X installation is the latest version of Lion 10.7.x. I'm able to partition, boot to the Windows 7 DVD, and do the initial installation. The computer reboots and I then configure the operating system (Usernames, passwords, etc). It goes to the Windows 7 desktop and then it restarts (I assume it's supposed to reboot one final time and then start to work).

However, at this point, I get gray OS X boot-up type screen (no graphics on it, just gray), and then I get a black screen with a flashing _ cursor (assume Windows 7 is about to boot up), after about 2 seconds the computer reboots to the Gray screen... then black screen with flashing _... then reboot etc. It just cycles forever until I hold OPTION at the gray screen and boot in to OS X.

What could be going on? I never had a chance to use the Bootcamp drivers CD that I burned, but I assume this should be fine. I've been using Boot camp since beta and only ever had one issue like this before (with an iMac and goofy ATI issues)..

Thanks,

Robert

2. motormadness macrumors newbie

I am having this same exact problem! Anyone who can help would be appreciated.

3. iRCL thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still having the same problem, have not resolved it.. Glad to hear someone else has the problem. Looking forward to a solution

4. motormadness macrumors newbie

I have finally resolved this issue. I found this solution on another website and I am going to copy and paste what I did for you.

1. Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start your computer.
    2. Hold down Option key till all available disks are displayed and select DVD. Press a key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then 4. click Next.
    5. Click Repair your computer.
    6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    7.In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type (these commands are safe)
    Code: Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Code: Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    Code: Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    *Press ENTER after each command.*
    *Restart your computer.*

Done. Rockin'

5. iRCL thread starter macrumors 6502

Absolutely incredible. I hate windows. I super appreciate the help!

6. ymom2, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

ymom2 macrumors newbie

A wild computer appeared
    Computer uses: "failed to boot"
    User chooses Google!
    Google, search the internet for solutions!
    It's super effective!

Note: if the repair program says " System Recovery Option is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair" just choose the option that says "restore from image" or something like that and click cancel to access the command prompt. Just type in the same commands from there.

cheers

7. MrFSU macrumors newbie

This worked PERFECTLY. Before this, my boot camp partition (late 2011 MacPro 15 sandy bridge) was working just fine with VMWARE Fusion but would not boot at all and was caught in endless loop of trying to boot and going back to grey screen until I pressed Option.

Thank you VERY much for the fix! Boots up perfectly now.

8. jlitven macrumors newbie

Thank you so much! I was stumped this morning when I got this message, and this worked like a charm. All hail the internet!