Windows 7 doesn't recognize iTunes 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Iphull, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Iphull, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

Iphull macrumors member

I downloaded and installed the iTunes 10 windows 7 x64, which seemed to flawlessly install. The "About" panel shows clearly that it IS iTunes 10. I plugged in my iPhone and it showed up with everything in it's rightful place. You would never know it DIDN'T install, except for:

When I go to the main iPhone information page and choose to update the phone, I get a message saying, "uh, yeaaah...about that...we would update your iPhone for you, but you need iTunes 10 to complete that task. Update iTunes and we'll revisit this issue. Would you like to update iTunes now?" This is paraphrased, but I'm not currently near my laptop. I'd have to get off the couch.

Yes, you heard me correctly. I said, "I installed Windows 7 x64" because that's the version I had previously. So, here's what I did:

~~ I downloaded iTunes for windows 7, but an error message said, "Um...I don't think so! I don't know what kind of piece of crap you have here, but get a REAL computer and try again!" (paraphrased)

~~ I downloaded and installed iTunes windows 7 x64 again. Nothing changed (yes, I've been restarting my computer after each install).

~~ I "repaired" iTunes in Programs & Features

~~ I uninstalled iTunes in P&F. Then reinstalled iTunes 10.

~~ I uninstalled iTunes in P&F and tried installing x32 again (still wouldn't budge...not compatible with x64).

~~ I changed target location for x64 install (other copy still uninstalled). ALSO, this time, when the firewall notification came up "You have blocked access to these iTunes things. Would you rather allow access, so any unsupervised latchkey thirteen-year-old can tunnel into your internet and wreck havoc throughout your laptop?" I clicked "Yeah, I don't care, anymore."

iTunes has never been installed on an external drive.

My laptop specs are:

Dell Inspiron 17 (Yeah, I know...won't be doing THAT again!)
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2.53Hz/1066Mhz FSB/ 3MB)
    4GB DDR2 800MHz 2 DIMM
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator x4500HD
    500G 5400RPM SATAN Hard Drive (225 GB remaining)

My iPhone 4.2.10 specs are:

Network - Verizon
    32 GB iOS
    647 photos
    400 applications
    5.9 GB available

Audio - 0.13 GB
    Video - 4.3 GB
    Photos - 2.4 GB
    Apps - 15.5 GB
    Other - 1.02 GB

Surely I can't be the only moron who's decided to be different and complicate my life by purchasing a crappy laptop with a windows 7 64 bit OS.

Any success stories out there?

Thanks for your help.

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I would suggest a "COMPLETE" uninstall of iTunes. Not just through control panel add/remove, but the whole thing.

Search google for complete uninstall, follow one of those sites. Then reinstall again.
    Seems like you have something left behind from an older version.

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have iTunes installed on an old laptop with Win7 64 bit and I had no issues. An uninstall should work but as the previous poster pointed out you should dig around a bit.

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

iTunes and Windows 7 64-bit have a love/hate relationship. I've had many problems keeping iTunes from crashing my PC repeatedly, no matter what version it's been. As mentioned above, a full uninstall of iTunes (including Safari, and other related apple installs) and a fresh install (after a PC power-down/up) has worked. I've used the standard program delete in the Control Panel, and that's worked for me.

Once you get it installed, though, don't be surprised if iTunes bricks your PC at will. I've discovered (through painful trial and error) that I have to launch iTunes first and let it sit (while I do absolutely NOTHING else) while it seems to be doing nothing. Actually, it's connecting to iTunes store, checking your login, verifying your account and downloading new and updated apps in the background. Sometimes it will let you know it's doing this; other times, it's iTunes' little secret.