Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strikieg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Greetings everyone! This forum has helped me a lot before, but this time it seems I really have to post :eek:

Here's the problem. I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate through bootcamp and the problem is, that when it restarts to boot and install from DVD, the screen goes black with the tickling white underscore and it won't load.

I've read somewhere in these forums that issues with firmware might affect the instalation. I never really paid much attention to it, but every time I start OSX, a box appears saying that the latest firmware for the EFI 1.4 or something has been successfully updated. Could it be related or is it something else?

Specs:
MacBook 5.1 , 2.4Ghz 13'
2Gb RAM DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

Thanks for the attention so far ;)

Hydroxs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta
I had the same problem awhile back with a classic mbp. I performed a smc and pram reset and got pass the black screen with the blinking underscore.

strikieg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
The SMC is up to date and the PRAM reset didn't do the trick either :( but thanks for the tip!

Hydroxs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta
The SMC is up to date and the PRAM reset didn't do the trick either :( but thanks for the tip!

Did you held down the 4 keys until the second startup sound? I missed up on the first try and on the second one while holding down the keys, it loaded the install menu.

gavmeister

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
Windows 8 install disk won't boot after partitioning

Obviously this is an old thread, but I had the same issue when trying to install Windows 8 using boot camp. The partitioning worked fine and then when asked to insert the Windows Installation Disk and press the Install button in the boot camp assistant, I got the black screen with the cursor in the top left hanging indefinitely. I tried this a few times with the same result and got the same result whether I used and old Win7 install disk or the new Win8. The proposed solutions of SMC and PRAM reset had no effect.

There are other threads out there about resolving black screen _after_ installing windows and don't seem to address the problem if a windows install disk that wont boot. I decided to try working around using the DVD install disk by creating a bootable install version on USB using boot camp. This is an option you have when you open boot camp (first of the three radio buttons representing the things you can do with boot camp). To be able to create this bootable USB version, you need to create an ISO image. I had never done this before, but it was very easy, using the instructions from this link:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/software-tools/a/create-iso-image-file.htm

I used a windows PC for the job, working on the assumption that boot camp would assume your Win8 ISO image would be one created by windows - not sure if it matters or not). I created the ISO image from the DVD onto a USB stick and then used the stick to put the ISO image onto the desktop of the macbook that I wanted to put windows on. I then went into bootcamp and created the bootable windows installation on the same USB stick (after wiping it -- I only had one stick to use). The source ISO file was now on my desktop and the destination was the USB stick. After that process finished I switched off the mac and restarted with the option key pressed. I then had USB icon and option to boot from the USC stick, which I did and it all worked perfectly from there in terms of the windows instalation.

It was a curious problem, as I'd done the install using the DVD on a 13 inch macbook air, but it wouldn't work on my 11 inch (both 2011 Lion machines). I saw a few similar unresolved questions around the forums, so hopefully this explanation will help some other people wrestling with this issue.

As an aside, while the step before the problem resolved above was a successful partitioning step, I should note that this was only successful after repairing the boot drive using the repair utility in recovery mode -- I initially got the "the disk cannot be partitioned error" -- solution from Nobium723 --https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3934389?start=0&tstart=0.

Happy apple-ling!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.