Windows 7 file transfer errors

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dimme, May 27, 2011.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

I posted this over at the osx networking forn but now I think this may be a better place for my problem...
    I just added a small atom machine running windows 7 home premium to my network of 4 macs. I have a odd problem, while transferring my itunes library for the mac to the Win 7 machine it will stop on various errors, most say the file xxx could not be read. I have better success mounding on the mac share on the windows machine and transferring but still will get a error saying it can't read that file type. I tried coping the same files at work to a xp machine and have no problem. I then found out this happens with other files, photos and movies work ok. I also loaded a evaluation copy of Windows home server on the PC and the files copy fine. So I think the problem must be with windows 7. My windows 7 machine is setup to use a work network (never liked that home group stuff). I am at a lost of what to check next. Any ideas?

My plan was for the windows 7 machine to be used as a torrent seeder and file server.
    Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is usually caused by file permissions on the file source end (in this case, the Mac). Are you logging in as yourself when you connect to the Mac, or as a guest? If you are, then odds are something's goofed up with your permissions in your home folder. Fortunately, a quick trip to the Sharing & Permissions section of the Get Info window in the Finder can correct this. Verify that the folder(s) in question are owned by you (your short user name), and that you have read & write access. Change it if need be, then click the Apply to All button. Confirm that you wish to do this - this operation is relatively slow.

3. dimme thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the idea, that was one of the things I checked and they are OK. I am thinking it may be a file name problem, I can't figure out why it's not a issue on XP or Windows home server?