Windows 7 for $30?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmdMac, Apr 21, 2010.

1. jmdMac macrumors regular

I was told today that microsoft was offering both windows 7 home premium or professional to college students for $30. Is this offer still ongoing? If so, where and how do I go about getting it?
    Thanks

2. noobinator macrumors 601

I'm guessing that's an upgrade. You need a full version for bootcamp. Full version can be had for $150 I think. Got mine on Amazon for that.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Try the Microsoft website or your school bookstore.
    Snow Leopard is $29 FWIW.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The deal that I got in on back in September? was for the $30 Win 7 Professional that quickly gained popularity because it was the full retail boxed version.

The one that I can pull up now is from The Ultimate Steal coming in at 60 dollars for a retail upgrade. Hope you can get in on it somehow. That was an incredible deal. I'm using my copy right now for school, though I would've happily used Win XP just cuz.

5. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

Last time i was in my college bookstore(like 3 weeks ago) they had xp pro, vista pro, and windows 7 pro, It was 20 bucks a copy.

6. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Some colleges/universities offer windows 7 professional (full copy) for free (download).

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

MSDN Academic Alliance FTW :) I've got 6 fully licensed copies of Windows 7 (3 x86 & 3 x64).

If your school has this package, you're set.

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Really? How many licences are actually allowed in parallel. I am currently using one x86 on my notebook. As soon as I have a new notebook I will change to x64 but I was wondering how many I can use in parallel.
    Because I would like to use one license also for the family desktop PC which is running on the Win7 RC at the moment and has XP also. Didn't know if this works.

The $30 student offer expired months ago afaik.

10. hypermog macrumors regular

I'm making this post from a machine running Windows 7 Professional that was purchased for $30 last year. I believe that program ended Jan 5 2010.

That said, Microsoft is still selling the Professional upgrade version to students for $64.95. (Look for the blue box)

Important! You can install a full copy of Windows 7 using upgrade media by following these steps. Just go straight to method #3, it takes a little longer but it always works... I'm using a system installed this way.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

12. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I've never actually used the same license key twice yet, but I'm guessing it doesn't matter. I used 3 separate school email addresses to get all those licenses though, we're usually only entitled to one of each x86 and x64.

13. thecheda macrumors 6502

Msdna

MSDN discount for me. So it is free. (UCI)

14. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Snow Leopard WTF!!!! :D

However, I have to say that, Windows 7 is the best version of Windows~ BUT... STILLLLLL........................................................................

Opps, just restart the browser because no responding lol

15. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

People actually use internet exploder? :D

Chrome is the only browser!

16. Vyruz Reaper macrumors regular

ha im at UCI right now too... biz econ...

17. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

$50 for Win 7 Ultimate through my work. Bought it, didn't have a use for it, so I sold it for some profit :cool:

18. rawd macrumors regular

I got W7 Ultimate retail version for $60 CAD thru a friends MS employee discount. Bootcamp here I come.

19. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Too bad the original $30.00 offer is expired. I would buy one if they every decide to offer that again. :/

20. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You mean as opposed to pirate it? (not sarcastic).

In my windows exclusive days one of the things I used to give my buddies a hard time about was pirating OS and anti-virus. It just seemed kind of backwards to me.

But now im in that in between period where i'm broke and in college, but everything is on discount to discourage piracy so its ok :D.

22. jmdMac thread starter macrumors regular

Where exactly have you seen a discount for windows 7 other than last year when they were having the $30 promotion? I have been looking around online and off for the past week and havn't found a full version for anything less than $150...

23. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

well depending on how much work you want to do , how much money you want to spend or what kind of connections your school has you can probably find it pretty cheap.

First place i'd check is freevill which is MSDNAA as already mentioned. Check it out to see if your school participates here.

Next is Dreamspark just incase you need server tools.

Next cheapest might be your uni bookstore depending on the type of relationship they have with MS.

After that the ultimate steal (from microsoft) is offering win 7 for 68 dollars. It's an upgrade version, I realize this. Though i'm sure if you really wanted to you could probably figure out how to do a clean install (cough).

Option 4 and the most costly is to get a microsoft technet subscription for 250 bucks, but requires no academic affiliation. Use the link above and enter promo code TMCT011. The bonus for this is that you get access to beta stuff as well as "retail" "evaluation" copies with no time limits, like Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 Home/Pro , Every single Office 2007 app including visio and project and access to Win Serv 2010 beta.

I'm actually unloading my Office 2008 and iWork licenses to friends because I need visio so i'm just going to run the entire office suite in VM/bootcamp.

24. jmdMac thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I checked out all the options you listed(thanks a bunch by the way!), and it seems the cheapest option for me is to buy from a powerseller on ebay :( ..... I went up to my OIT department and the guy basically just showed me the "Ultimate Steal" website. I plan on using this to set up bootcamp and parallels, so I need the full version not just the upgrade. Also, would a OEM version for for what I need it for? It seems like I would only be able to set one or the other(bootcamp or parallels) if I were to buy the cheaper OEM version. Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks.

25. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My school offered it for a free download and then Microsoft or some other company told them that that was illegal and/or they were losing tons of money, so they began to charge $60 for it. I downloaded my copy way before that, though. A fully functional copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit.