Windows 7 for my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ag55, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ag55 macrumors regular

I've ordered my iMac 3.06ghz, first time mac guy :cool:
    Anyway i also just ordered Windows 7 and never put any thought into it.

Will Windows 7 be smooth on the iMac?
    Anyone tested it with RC etc?

Thank yaw

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Under BootCamp, smooth as it would on a dedicated Windows machine.

3. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

Virtualization is what i will be using mostly i think, its down to Parallels and VMware -- i've heard Parallels its a tad faster and have heard good stuff about it overall.

Any suggestions :)

4. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I have done this a couple of times with different Window builds and I will tell you that you will find some things that will snag once and awhile when running Windows on MAC. Most of the problems I have had is printers and wireless stuff. I hope Windows 7 is better but you should expect a few snags.

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Have fun, but I'm pretty sure the iMac doesn't have 64bit EFI and will be annoying to get 64bit Windows 7 running on!

6. Jabbamk1 macrumors member

Jabbamk1

I run Xp under parallels every now and then when im not on my main pc. it is very fast and boots up just like a normal system. Of course i haven't tested giant memory sucking apps like PS CS4 but word and clock :p runs fine.

It would work just like a pc under bootcamp, it also installs all the drivers you need automatically.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I have one of the new minis and the 64-bit Windows 7 release candidate runs fine under VMware Fusion. Was a piece of cake to install as well (other than Fusion not haveing Windows 7 as a supported operating system... choose Vista x64 or Windows Server 2008 in the new virtual machine assistant).

A few months ago I had tried the 32-bit version (under Fusion and on an old Pentium IV PC I had lying around) and saw several blue screens and couldn't understand why everyone was raving about Windows 7. After upgrading from an original Intel mini to a new NVIDIA one i tried the 64-bit Windows 7 and have had much better luck.

8. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

9. Mufasa804 macrumors regular

I ran Windows 7 on my MBP on VMware fusion. Not too bad. But everytime I use Windows, I remember why I use a Mac.

10. ag55 thread starter macrumors regular

:D
    I've been using win7 since the rc came out and its been pretty damn good. I think snow leopard and win7 dualboot will be a perfect match