Windows 7 for Students

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wakerider017, Sep 30, 2009.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I want to buy windows 7 to use for bootcamp.

I saw the student deal where I can get 7 professional for only $29.99, but I have to download it.

An additional $13 to get a disc.

If I downloaded it how would I install it on my Mac via bootcamp? Could I just burn it on a single layer DVD-R or is the file too large?

Thanks!

2. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

You will have to burn it to a DVD.

It will fit on a single layer DVD.

3. TeamRetic macrumors newbie

TeamRetic

What web site is that? I go to college and love to get the student deal.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

www.win741.com is the site.

Like the above said, you have to burn it on a DVD. Easy as pie on OS X (hint: Disk Utility).

5. valvehead macrumors regular

I have to laugh when I see that domain name. I immediately think of the μA741, a very archaic operational amplifier whose specs are horrible by today's standards. Win 741 indeed! :p

As far as Windows 7 is concerned I'm interested in this deal, especially since they are offering Professional for the same price. I'm holding off until my university's store announces prices for Windows 7. I'll chose whichever has the better deal.

6. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Thanks guys! I just wanted to make sure it would fit on a single layer.

:):):):)

7. BradenG macrumors regular

So, this is a full Win 7 install disk? People in the other thread said it's just an upgrade..

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's really not explicit that it is an upgrade, but there are plenty of indications along the way.

The FAQ at win741.com says:

Then if you follow the links to buy at digitalriver you end up at this page:

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/DisplayHomePage

Which tells you to run the windows upgrade advisor to figure out which version to get. (Hard to do if you are not already running Windows).

Following the link to the FAQ from here and "When will my pre-ordered product be available?" leads to:

http://drh.img.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/ContentTheme/pbPage.preorder

NOTE: That doesn't mean you won't be able to install it, since the only way to install if you have XP is a clean install. It just means that you aren't quite in compliance with the EULA of the upgrade license if you don't already have a full copy of Windows somewhere.

B

9. dukeofism macrumors member

That's a great idea. My University has a special contract with MS, so I already have my copy of Windows 7 in my hands as we speak

10. dukeofism macrumors member

And I must also add... I only paid $15 for it!

11. UnInvincible macrumors member

As a Computer Engineering student at my University, I'm automatically entered into MSDNAA, so I got Windows 7 Professional for absolutely free. Also, Windows Vista, XP, and TONS of other Microsoft products.

I also technically have two copies of Windows 7 I can install, since they give me different codes for the 32 and 64 bit versions.

12. zenoran macrumors regular

yup it's nice they give u a key for each version... we had a chinese one too so I got a total of 3... it's nice because you can only use the key for 1 hardware profile.. tested that :)

13. BradenG macrumors regular

Ahhh, thanks for clearing that up.

14. nokitman macrumors newbie

Is the $29.99 windows 7 deal for upgrade only or it that a full retail?
    so could i use that for a new partition on bootcamp without anything installed first?

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As I posted above every indication is that the $29 deal equivalent to a retail upgrade, but you should still be able to perform a clean install with the disc. (It is entirely possible to perform a clean install with Vista upgrade media, it's just a two step process. Install Vista without the product key i.e a trial, then upgrade from the trial install. If you don't actually have a license to upgrade from, you would be violating the EULA but there is no technological prohibition on that).

B

16. innocent114 macrumors newbie

Just a fair warning...make sure you have tons of resources, because VMWare can only handle so much, lol.

My fans CHURN when I boot up anything Windows on my Mac. The $29 is totally an upgrade fee though.

17. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows

(This is a page linked to on the Upgrade $29.99 deal site)

18. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Good find. However it still doesn't explicitly negate that the $29 is an upgrade and thus requires a previous license of windows to qualify for the pricing. However, it confirms my assertion that you should be able to install from the provided media to a blank HDD.

Unfortunately "can" and "may, as per the EULA" are still two different things.

It's not that different from the hackintosh scene. It is apparently quite possible to install direct from the $29 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD, on non-Apple hardware or on an Intel Mac running Tiger, but that doesn't mean that Apple has licensed it to you for either scenario.

As in those two other scenarios, there is probably nothing stopping you from going beyond the rights granted to you in the EULA of the $29 student deal, just be aware that that is most likely what you are doing.

This story is timely: Ballmer admits Microsoft licensing is too complicated.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/10/05/156202/Ballmer-Dont-Expect-Simpler-Licensing-Soon

B