Windows 7 Freezes Durring Installation on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Crell Vorlem, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Crell Vorlem macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on my 17" Macbook Pro (early 2008) using Bootcamp but upon making the partition and then rebooting from my Windows disk, it freezes at 'Expanding Windows files' once it reaches 20%. I also noticed that the disk inside seemed to be in a loop where it would start spinning for about 15 seconds, then stop.

Upon looking at the disk I didn't see any scratches or anything. What do you think is causing this?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

How long do you leave it for to see if it starts going again? I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my MacBook Pro yesterday, and although it seemed to stop at the expanding files point multiple times, it eventually started going again.

3. Tarek macrumors 6502

Expanding files usually takes me a while. I suggest leaving it for 15 - 20 minutes and checking if anything happens. If not, either try using another installation CD or try the same CD on a different computer and see if it installs fine, but then it will mean your MacBook's optical drive has problems. And I assume that's the case because my MacBook Pro's optical drive died on me 6 - 7 months later and same thing happened with my friends'. Sure hope not, though.

4. Crell Vorlem thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try that disk on another computer and see if the same thing happens. Also, I left it at the 'Expanding Windows files' phase for over an hour and it didn't budge from 20%. Perhaps there is something wrong with the optical drive.

5. Tarek macrumors 6502

That could very well be it. If it turns out to be the case, get it replaced if you're still under warranty. If not, buy an external optical drive and don't bother replacing it because the same thing will happen again.