Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monty847

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro (2009, 10.8.4), however, I am running into a problem after using Boot Camp to set up the partition and download the support drivers. After Boot Camp asks me to insert the Windows 7 installation disc, my computer restarts and the Windows 7 installation guide comes up. I am able to start the installation process by selecting the Windows partition and letting the installer format it using the NTFS file system. However, after I click "next" and the installation process continues, it almost immediately freezes at the "expanding windows" step, not progressing beyond 0%. I have let it sit at this step for over an hour with no progress. I can hear the optical drive running and it sounds like it is repeatedly trying to read the disc unsuccessfully. The disc does not appear to be scratched and it is a legitimate Windows 7 Home Premium OEM System Builder Pack 1 version with the product key.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong? Would it work better if I burned a copy of the installation DVD as an ISO file to my usb drive? If so, please tell me how to do that since my Boot Camp does not include the usb option.

Thank you!

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
You could try downloading the ISO file directly from Microsoft and try booting Windows from an external/USB drive. You can store the ISO file and all drivers on an 8gb thumb drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.