Windows 7 Full/Upgrade!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by welshtedz, Nov 14, 2009.

1. welshtedz macrumors newbie

welshtedz

Ok, So i want to Windows 7 for BootCamp for my Gaming needs. I have Windows 7 Beta installed and I need to know if i would have to buy the full verison of Windows 7 and then re-partion and install again. Or could i just upgrade it.
    Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Upgrade pricing requires an existing license of Vista or XP to qualify you for the upgrade pricing. Windows 2000 or earlier and beta versions do not qualify you for upgrade pricing. Yet, it can be installed fine without proof of the previous license.

OEM/SBE is a full license that does not require a previous license, and costs about the same as a retail upgrade. However, it places restrictions on the install and use of the license. You get no support from Microsoft, have to pick 32 or 64 bit up front, and it is supposed to be installed by a system builder on a PC for resale to a third party and is not supposed to be moved from the machine it was first installed on.

If you only care about function and not the details of those licenses, either retail upgrade or OEM/SBE will work. Otherwise, full retail is the only way to go.

B

3. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Not what he was asking...I’m pretty sure you can just upgrade it, though you will need a full retail copy, not an upgrade one. You definitely don’t need to repartition and whatnot :p

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Funny going by the thread title I think I answered at least part of the question that was asked.

Granted I should have started with: Microsoft does not recommend an in place upgrade from any beta or RC code and neither do most folks who run beta code. There is always a risk that some beta code lingers around and makes your system unstable.

You should not need to repartition but you should reinstall fresh.

B