Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Been thinking about adding Windows 7 to my Macbook Pro, but then I saw how expensive the full version is. The cheapest I found Windows 7 Home was around $171 on Amazon. Maybe that's a good price but to me that still seems really expensive. What the hell Microsoft, why is your OS so freaking pricey?

How does everyone afford to put Windows on their Macs? After you spend the funds on Apple hardware, it kind of leaves very little left over.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Another reason I use Windows...can get software...cheap. Don't know anything about Mac. Can you use OEM?

Sorry didn't see the post above until I posted

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks for the info. So $100 for Windows 7 64-bit full version sound about right?

I didn't know the OEM version is called the System Builder. I saw it on Amazon before but didn't think it was the full version. Thanks to no state tax on Amazon, I'll buy it there.

away8907

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
'murrca!
As an alternative to the student suggestion, If you've got a friend in the IT business who trusts you, He might be able to set you up with a key.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
As an alternative to the student suggestion, If you've got a friend in the IT business who trusts you, He might be able to set you up with a key.

So much for paying the companies and developers who write the software eh?

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
If you've got a friend in the IT business who trusts you, He might be able to set you up with a key.
Even though I don't agree with how expensive Windows can be, I still wouldn't do what you're suggesting.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I believe my personal record for an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 was just under $80. It was a double discount from price cut and 10% off all Microsoft software.

I know you can probably get a key from eBay for $30. The installation media is the easy part.

away8907

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
'murrca!
I made my suggestion leaning more towards the chance he knows someone with a VLK and a license to spare. Volume Licensing is far from stealing, I've written the checks. MS gets their due :)

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I made my suggestion leaning more towards the chance he knows someone with a VLK and a license to spare. Volume Licensing is far from stealing, I've written the checks. MS gets their due :)

No, as the VLK is to only be used by the purchasing entity, not to be given out. So you are wrong there, it is still stealing.

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
Thanks for the info. So $100 for Windows 7 64-bit full version sound about right?

I didn't know the OEM version is called the System Builder. I saw it on Amazon before but didn't think it was the full version. Thanks to no state tax on Amazon, I'll buy it there.

There are multiple versions of W7, and both are probably represented in the retail & OEM versions. Which is the version you are referring to in this case?

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Been thinking about adding Windows 7 to my Macbook Pro, but then I saw how expensive the full version is. The cheapest I found Windows 7 Home was around $171 on Amazon. Maybe that's a good price but to me that still seems really expensive. What the hell Microsoft, why is your OS so freaking pricey?

How does everyone afford to put Windows on their Macs? After you spend the funds on Apple hardware, it kind of leaves very little left over.

MS Technet - while more expensive than W7 alone, it give you access to a full set of MS products, including Office (Mac version a well)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Been thinking about adding Windows 7 to my Macbook Pro, but then I saw how expensive the full version is. The cheapest I found Windows 7 Home was around $171 on Amazon. Maybe that's a good price but to me that still seems really expensive.

1) What the hell Microsoft, why is your OS so freaking pricey?

2) How does everyone afford to put Windows on their Macs? After you spend the funds on Apple hardware, it kind of leaves very little left over.
1) Microsoft & Apple both charge for the work that they do to build good products. It's no different than any other industry.

Apple charges over $1,000 more for a 15" MBP as compared to an equally configured ThinkPad. I paid the price premium quite willingly. Why complain? I prefer Macs.

2) You're buying Apple, a terrific product and one of my favorites. If you must complain about the cost of windows, perhaps you can't afford the Mac in the first place.

Dell sells cheaper consumer grade machines for people who cannot afford the best. You have some choices. That's the good news.

Nick McEnjoy

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
1) Microsoft & Apple both charge for the work that they do to build good products. It's no different than any other industry.

Only the owners are freakingly rich, meaning there's something wrong with the costing and pricing policy.

----------

Dell sells cheaper consumer grade machines for people who cannot afford the best. You have some choices. That's the good news.

Many big organizations use Dell's computers. Why?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Many big organizations use Dell's computers. Why?

A few reasons: they'll keep the same configurations available for years (even after there are newer configurations around) so that your entire group can be using the same model. They've got a pretty competitive rate for their hardware. They are pretty good about shipping out spare parts to companies so you have them on hand when things break.

None of these reasons mean that the computers are necessarily that great, but that it's good for the people making the decisions (whether or not it is for the people using the computers).

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Only the owners are freakingly rich, meaning there's something wrong with the costing and pricing policy.

If there was a problem with their pricing policy people would not buy the product and they would go out of business. That they haven't shows there is demand at the prices they charge and thus they make money.

A product's cost has nothing to do with its price; just the decision whether to produce it.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Why Dell?

Because when I was in Iraq in 03 I took my Inspiron with me (personel computer) to play games and watch movies etc... I kept it as safe as I could from dirt and dust but the DVD drive eventually failed and I was out of warranty. I had my wife contact Dell to buy a new one for me. Not only did they give it to her for free, but they expidited the shipping to next day so that she could get it to me as quickly as possible.

So why Dell? Because as a company they respond when needed. Personally I have not had any problems with their upper end machines and only once or twice with a few low end machines. People beat Dell up all the time but most likely have never really used them to know what they are talking about.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
I found Windows 7 Home 64 bit OEM version on Amazon for $79.99. Finally a decent deal!

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Why Dell?

Because when I was in Iraq in 03 I took my Inspiron with me (personel computer) to play games and watch movies etc... I kept it as safe as I could from dirt and dust but the DVD drive eventually failed and I was out of warranty. I had my wife contact Dell to buy a new one for me. Not only did they give it to her for free, but they expidited the shipping to next day so that she could get it to me as quickly as possible.

So why Dell? Because as a company they respond when needed. Personally I have not had any problems with their upper end machines and only once or twice with a few low end machines. People beat Dell up all the time but most likely have never really used them to know what they are talking about.

Dell computers aren't bad for companies to buy, but as a consumer, I'd rather just go and build my own PC. If I had a Dell and it breaks and I get the runaround, I'll just take it straight to my neighbor and he'll take care of it. Who's this neighbor? Michael Dell!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.