Windows 7 HD suddenly full?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gng75, Jan 16, 2015.

1. gng75 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have recently used Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on an old MacBook (mid-2010) - I set it up to have a 115 Gb partition for Mac OS (10.10.1) and a 115 Gb partition for Windows 7 (64 bit).

The installation process went beautifully, and everything worked as it is supposed to have. Next, I installed Steam on my Windows 7 drive, and a bunch of games via Steam (all combat flight sims - which was my reason for doing the Boot Camp thing in the first place).

Again, all fine - the games work perfectly, including with peripherals such as an Xbox 360 (wired) controller and a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

I went away for a week, and didn't have access to the internet during the holiday, and thus played my games in Steam's offline mode. No problems there.

HOWEVER - when I got home yesterday, I noticed, while idly looking at the Windows system, that my Windows disk is suddenly full - about 1 gig free. I don't understand what's happened here, particularly as I did nothing except play games on it.

The only thing that I did that was a new thing was to go into the Boot Camp manager and check the boxes in the trackpad/keyboard control panel to work like they do in my Mac system - tap to click, secondary click, etc.

Can anyone help me here? Why is my Windows partition suddenly full?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download The sysinternals suite of tools. You'll want du.exe specifically. If you google that, you can download just that app.

From a cmd window run du -l 1 c:\
    If wish to pipe it to a text file, then something along the lines of du -l 1 c:\ > du.txt

The Du utility will scan through your drive and give you the utilization by directory. The number of -l (which is the letter L) tells DU to see how deep in the directory tree to display.

I usually start off at du -l 2 c:\Users\[my account]

This handy little utility will show you where your space went

3. gng75 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mike.

The problem sorted itself out! The next time I looked, the drive was showing what it should have - i.e. that there's 40 gig free.

No idea what happened there.

Thanks again.