Windows 7 heating up computer

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sup3r1or, Oct 5, 2010.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Ok , Before when I had my custom built rig I never really noticed it, since I had proper cooling.

However my wife started complaining to her that her Acer laptop gets very hot in Windows 7 and sometimes shuts off. Now that I got bootcamp windows 7, I experience a great amount of heat from the part of the mac close to the screen. Why is this happening? IS there any way to solve the issue, I'm even afraid to start playing any games.

In regards to windows XP, do you need a special copy for mac? cuz I heard that it doesnt support sata and also that 32 bit version will not utilise more than 4 gb or ram

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Windows is not as power conscious as OS X on the Mac, particularly the 9400+9600 models run hot and with reduced battery life since only the 9600 is available in Windows. I don't know if you have the wrong settings on the Acer, but 7 should not be much worse than XP on "PC" hardware. (At least that is my experience, YMMV).

You need Windows XP with SP2 or SP3 already included to support SATA. The other part is correct. 32 bit OSes support 4GB address space so some of the RAM has to be inaccessible so it can talk to the hardware in the remaining address space. Reports vary on how much RAM is available to XP from 2.25-3.5 GB, depending on the Mac.

B

3. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

I have macbook pro 13 2010 model, and it is hot like hell under windows 7

4. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Yes me too but only when using it a lot, I mean now I have just excel open on windows with almost everything else off and i can't notice it, but don't even think to have VLC open 'cause your mouse just won't move lol

5. aki macrumors 6502a

Search around macrumors for the many threads on macs and heat. If you are concerned, you can install temp monitoring software; and/or install manual fan management software.

In my case, on an imac, I use Temperature Monitor under OSX to watch temps (along with iStat), and smcfancontrol to manually up fan spends when using bootcamp especially gaming.

6. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I don't think you should worry so much about the heat. My MBP1,1 heats up like crazy under Vista, but I think the logic board can control how fast the fan spins to cool it enough. My computer is still running strong after 4.5 years.

7. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

I run Win7 all the time on my Mac mini (mid-2010) and it's as cool as a cucumber. I did notice some warmth once, and I think it may have been after running Window's built-in backup to an external drive.

I generally do word processing, voice recognition, some scanning to .pdf, Internet and e-mail. Just business stuff.

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I've got it too

I've got the November 2009 Macbook and it gets hot sometimes too. Not as hot as I expected honestly, since windows isn't as power conscious as windows. But it still does heat up. However, it DOES NOT heat up as bad when I play games like starcraft II and the like. So yeah haha I'm sure bootcamp still knows how to take care of your computer so it doesn't cook, but I mean I wouldn't go all out with it or anything haha

9. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

Actually I noticed that under windows the fans always spin at the same speed regardless of the temperature.

10. aki macrumors 6502a

I can't say as to "same speed" per se, but it's true that on Mac hardware fan management under bootcamped Windows is less than ideal. This is no issue for "normal" daily use ie. most people. If you use Windows on your mac for high-end gaming for extended periods or for heavy-lifting like video editing and encoding, then you may want to consider some of the manual temp monitoring/fan management options.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

When I ran Windows 7 on my iMac, it did run much hotter than running OSX so I uninstalled it because I was concerned that it shorten the life of my system. Running it on a cheapo Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, there's no heat issues at all because the fans would ramp up when needed which it didn't do on the iMac... A software patch could correct this I'm sure..

12. diyguy macrumors newbie

I noticed this last night as well,

I was trying to view xrays on a cd that the hospital gave me but they were enclosed in a windows app, that im guessing the hospital uses. I booted into win7 and opened the app and viewed the xrays....

Booted back in OSX and noticed my 'smcfancontrol' temp was up around 150+

Its not a big deal to me cause i use OSX for all my power hungary apps, no gaming here, but just good to know not to run win7 for extendend periods??(using mbp thats about 3-4 months old)