Windows 7 install options

Barney63

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
Bolton, UK.
I need to put W7 on my rMBP and was wondering which is the best option.
Am I right in thinking that Bootcamp and Parallels ofer different ways of accessing W7?
Which way should I go?

Barney

Jacksonc

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2013
Jony's house
I prefer Parallels because I can access both my mac and my Windows 7 at the same time. But it depends what you're doing in Windows and how much ram you have.

Dovahkiing

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
I agree that virtualization would be fine. However, BootCamp is free and Parallels is $80.

If you decide to virtualize, you could go VMWare Fusion, which I think is a bit cheaper. Or you could use VirtualBox, which is freeware.

I don't want to get into a debate about the merits of these different virtualization apps, I'm just putting it out there. Each option has its respective pro's and con's.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I agree that virtualization would be fine. However, BootCamp is free and Parallels is $80.

If you decide to virtualize, you could go VMWare Fusion, which I think is a bit cheaper. Or you could use VirtualBox, which is freeware.

I don't want to get into a debate about the merits of these different virtualization apps, I'm just putting it out there. Each option has its respective pro's and con's.
Oh, right! VirtualBox might be a good start, good thinking.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
It's only a small program called Maple (a maths programming language).
I have 8gb/256ssd

Barney
I'd say virtualization is probably the best option if you're only looking for a single program. I prefer VMware's Fusion, but there's also Parallels and VirtualBox. You can try all three as the first two offer timed demos and the third is free