Windows 7 Install Problems!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Tokiopop, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

So I've FINALLY got all the partitions sorted out from my previous OS setup, and go to install Windows 7. Partway through the setup (just after asking language) it asks for CD/DVD drivers. Okay, I'll try eject the disk. Nope, eject key not working. So I can't put the disk with all the drivers in.

I know! I'll copy the drivers to my external HDD. When I browse for them, I am told there's nothing there.

So, I don't know. I can't install the drivers it would seem (unless someone can find the CD/DVD drivers for windows?) and therefor cannot continue with the installation because it wont let me click next until these damn drivers are installed.

Windows 7 64 bit, by the way.

Thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You should not need to install any storage drivers during the install. There's nothing non-standard about the ATA/SATA controllers in Macs. My guess is you answered yes to a question you should have answered no to. (i.e. Do you need drivers to see your CD/DVD drive?).

Which Mac and edition of Windows 7 64 BTW?

B

3. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I'm not sure you understand me, or maybe I don't understand you, but...

Without these CD/DVD device drivers, it isn't letting me do anything else. I can either browse for them, rescan, or quit the install. The "Next" is grayed out.

Running latest Snow Leopard, and trying to isntall Ultimate.

It didn't ask me any questions, just told me it needs these drivers (even though it got that far without them).

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If this is for your 13" MBP it should not be that different from my 15" MBP, and I did not get asked for any drivers during install. Most everything worked fine without even installing the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers from the Snow Leopard DVD.

It seems like this is a common issue though even on standard PCs. http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/4872-cd-dvd-driver-missing-install-5.html

Usually it seems to be related to a bad burn of an ISO of the installer disc. Are you perchance using a burned disc?

B

5. Tokiopop thread starter macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yes, it's a copy of a friends isntallation disk. I bought Vista and regretted it, so I don't really want to buy another OS from MS.

I might just go back to XP, I used Winclone to make a disk image of th bootcamp partition I can restore to, knowing something like this was bound to happen.

Or it might be that the DVD I did it on has been earased and written on again god knows how many times.

Edit: Yep, it's because it's a rewritable. Heheheh, that'll teach me.