Windows 7 Installation Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KoenigReinhold, Jul 1, 2010.

1. KoenigReinhold macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I seem to be rather confused after reading so many websites which say its possible to install windows 7 upgrade over xp by custom install in bootcamp.

I purchased a windows 7 upgrade which I have downloaded as a ".img" file.

However, bootcamp doesnt recognize my .img disc.

I have tried converting the .img to a .iso, and then burning the .iso as a iso disc, but still no luck. (Im not sure if its because of Active iso software Im using to burn the discs or if im doing something wrong.)

I have a legit version of XP already running via bootcamp, but I'm really in need of help, please.

2. KoenigReinhold thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mention:

Bootcamp tells me this each time I try to install from the windows disc I made:

"The installer disc could not be found. Insert your windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized."

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just curious, how big is the IMG file you have and which version of Windows 7 did you buy? This will tell us if it really is the whole installer or perhaps only part of it.

I've posted links to official ISOs from Microsoft that you might be able to use in a pinch. Do a search or ask and I can find it again.

B

4. KoenigReinhold thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey B,

I purchased the Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade x64 bit.

File size is about 2.89 gb

Im wondering if its the software because I dont think ActiveISO made them bootable... I tried booting one of the discs in a windows box and it did not work.

Just in case I downloaded a trial of Nero software, and will see if that boots, unless of course you know of any software I could use to make this .img a bootable cd which could work with bootcamp?

5. impulse77 macrumors member

impulse77

Go to apple support page and download the correct bootcamp update. Maybe this should help. You will download it on the Windows side.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

6. KoenigReinhold thread starter macrumors newbie

I think its more of the ".img" file or creating a bootable disc than it is bootcamp.

I've never made a boot disc before and the instructions I was provided were of little to no help.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My 64 bit ISOs are just a bit bigger. 3.00 GiB or 3.22 GB depending on your definition base 2 or base 10 (3,224,686,592 bytes). Could be meaningless or it could be you got a partial download.

impulse77 has a point. You didn't mention which Mac this was. There is some extra work you need to do for the 27" iMac that might possibly be related though I would have expected you to say you have a blank/black screen.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

B

8. KoenigReinhold thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about that, Im running a 15" macbook pro 2.8 ghz and 512mb 9800M GT

Summer 2009 model.

Ill try redownloading and see if there is a file difference.

EDIT (This is the size from my original download): 2.89 GB (3,108,945,920 bytes)

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Could be fine, at least it's not super short, but both of my 64 bit ISOs (Pro and Ultimate) are 3,224,686,592 bytes.

I have the same MBP and installed W764Ulitmate without any shenanigans.

You could try one of the ISO links here: http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

The one you want is : http://174.129.85.117/data/Windows7Ultimate64bit.iso from Amazon.com

B

10. KoenigReinhold thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately the link for ultimate you provided no longer seems to work.

However I do find it odd that your link quotes the hd space as 3.00gb whereas what I'm downloading quotes the hd space as 2.85 gb

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

12. KoenigReinhold thread starter macrumors newbie

Ay the other editions no longer seem to work either.

They download a 768 kb file

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How very odd. Seems fine to me. I just tried downloading the W7Pro64 link and it is now at 30 MB/3.00 GB.

Do you have a firewall you don't control in your way?

B

14. KoenigReinhold thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I got it to work. I had to burn the .img to a disc which created setup1.box, setup2.box, and a .exe. Afterwards I had to copy the disc contents back to the desktop and unbox the packages.

There was an error so I had to use command prompt in XP which created the iso.

Burned the iso with Windows 7 USB/DVD download program.

Going to test installation!