Windows 7 Installation on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Seven Ocean, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Seven Ocean macrumors newbie

I have a late 2008 unibody Macbook Pro and would like to install Windows 7 on the laptop. Is it possible to install only Windows 7 on the SSD without having to partition for Mac OS?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to install Windows via Boot Camp, you need an extra partition for Windows.

Otherwise you can run Windows as a Virtual Machine (VM) via Virtual Box, VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop.

3. Seven Ocean thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to install only Windows 7? I really don't want to install OSX as I won't ever be using it again. Thanks

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Do you mean not installing OSX at all on the laptop? If so, it is possible.

Just replace the HDD with the SSD (not necessary, but you said you would be using a SSD); then put the windows CD in and boot the laptop. After windows is installed, you can use your OSX disc to get the drivers for the hardware.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ah, didn't get that entirely from your first post.

Do as kny3twalker suggested and should work fine.
    Btw, why don't you sell the MBP and get a "cheaper" non-Apple notebook if you plan to never use Mac OS X again?

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

My guess would be the unmatched fit and finish of the macbook pro versus any windows laptop (including business class).

7. Seven Ocean thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes

Thank you for the information, I'll follow this method when the SSD comes in.

Thanks. I was originally going to sell it, but decided to keep it since it's only worth half what I paid for it originally.

8. bward24601 macrumors newbie

Issues

If you only install Windows 7 some things might not work. Nothing major. I've read reports of the webcam not working and some of the shortcut buttons like your dash board, and back light not working.

9. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Windows 7 dosen't work PERFECTLY on a Mac. If you are only using %100 Windows than you will definitely start to notice the small glitches here and there and will probably become frustrated.

I bet you can sell your MBP for at least $800, which will probably get you a PC laptop with better specs : )

10. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Windows 7 works fine on my MBP. I only use it when I am gaming or don't do anything but a little web surfing in between gaming but I didn't notice any of the problems people complained about in threads I read (aside from battery life).

The drivers seem okay. I can adjust the brightness of this useless keyboard backlight and turn it completely off. People said that doesn't work with Windows but I guess the new drivers can do it. Also most other things work fine. What doesn't work is obviously battery life and the eject disk button. Since I hardly ever use any CDs anymore I don't mind ejecting from explorer.

Still unless you use OSX and can get the good battery life I don't really see how one would pay this much for using Windows on a MBP. For Gaming there is no way past Windows for some time unfortunately and Steam is not looking good with worse quality and worse performance at the same time.