Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

konaseema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
I downloaded win 7 from msdn and burn it into DVD. All instructions says, that I should see this page, but I get blue screen with can't find bootable disk message.

I also tried selecting "option" key while reboot, choose windows partition, it will hang there.

Any steps I am missing? Thanks,

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I downloaded win 7 from msdn and burn it into DVD. All instructions says, that I should see this page, but I get blue screen with can't find bootable disk message.

I also tried selecting "option" key while reboot, choose windows partition, it will hang there.

Any steps I am missing? Thanks,

Sounds like you are missing a step, indeed.

Did you partition the hard drive for windows using bootcamp assistant, first?

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Step One: Take the .ISO and use Disk Utility to burn the ISO to the disk. For more detailed instructions, refer to this: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

Step Two: Open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the instructions on how to make a new Windows partition and SHUTDOWN when ready.

Step Three: When the computer first turns on (grey screen, before Apple logo and spinning gear), hold the alt/option key on your keyboard and wait for your boot options to appear.

Step Four: Select the CD for Windows. There may be an "EFI Boot" or something like that, but select the CD icon for "Windows" and hit enter.

Step Five: The Windows installer will start up. Continue until you get to the partition step. Usually, you will have to reformat the partition as the Boot Camp Assistant created a FAT32 partition. Click on something that is similar to "Advanced Options" or something at the partition window and select your Bootcamp partition and reformat. You should then click the same partition that you just reformatted and let Windows install.

konaseema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Step One: Take the .ISO and use Disk Utility to burn the ISO to the disk. For more detailed instructions, refer to this: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

Step Two: Open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the instructions on how to make a new Windows partition and SHUTDOWN when ready.

Step Three: When the computer first turns on (grey screen, before Apple logo and spinning gear), hold the alt/option key on your keyboard and wait for your boot options to appear.

Step Four: Select the CD for Windows. There may be an "EFI Boot" or something like that, but select the CD icon for "Windows" and hit enter.

Step Five: The Windows installer will start up. Continue until you get to the partition step. Usually, you will have to reformat the partition as the Boot Camp Assistant created a FAT32 partition. Click on something that is similar to "Advanced Options" or something at the partition window and select your Bootcamp partition and reformat. You should then click the same partition that you just reformatted and let Windows install.

Yes, i created windows partition earlier.. Now with Bootcamp assistant, I chose "Start windows installer" instead of "Create or remove windows partition". Then System reboots, and hangs.

Also, I think i burn the DVD fine. When I open dvd, i can see all the install files fine.

The only difference I found was, I created partition few days ago, now I am trying to install it on the partition. What is the correct way to delete the windows partition? So, I will re-try again.

Edit: I deleted the partition and retried, it still hangs once I choose Bootcamp drive to install windows. Now I am suspecting the win7 I downloaded via msdn is not bootable?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.