Windows 7 Installation Problems on 15-inch MB Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Snazziosity, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Snazziosity macrumors newbie

I'm trying to install Windows 7 64-bit on my MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.66GHz from mid-2009. I'm running 10.6.7. Let me know if you need any more specs.

I have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 as well as the discs that came with my Mac and the Snow Leopard install disc (and Boot Camp 3.0). I have partitioned the hard drive and gotten the computer to boot to the disc, but after I click the "Install" button during the Windows installation, it says that the required DVD/CD drivers cannot be found and prompts me to find them. The problem is, I can't find a way to eject the Windows install disc to put in the Snow Leopard disc to load the drivers. I can't bypass this step.

What is going on? I need to install this by Saturday before my Microsoft class starts... and I currently have no working Windows computers... Will somebody please help?

2. reuben.seph macrumors newbie

Try this: turn your MBP off if it isn't already by holding down the power button. Once it's off, wait for a couple seconds before pressing the power button again to turn it on. When you see the gray screen, hold down the Alt/Option button on your keyboard until something appears. What you should see is an option of running the hard drive. You probably have to wait for about 10 seconds or so before the second option showing a disk appears, and once it's out, use the Left and Right Arrow keys to navigate. Once you have the second option selected, do not press the Enter key, but instead hold down your Eject key, located next to the F12 key. This should eject your disk. Once it's out, just run your hard drive (the first option) and get on with what you wanted to do.

3. Snazziosity thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that, but doing so wipes the RAM and therefore kills the install. I can get the disc out, no problem, but it will not eject during the step when I actually need to get the disc out. Windows doesn't even get to the point where it starts formatting and loading files onto the hard drive. Any ideas?

Or, does anybody have a link to the driver I need? I might be able to put it onto a flash drive and load it that way.

4. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've never once heard or have seen that happen. When you get to the Windows Installation screen, and select Install, it should take you to a screen that gives you two choices, "Upgrade" or "Custom (advanced)". You want to select the Custom (advanced) option. See this walkthrough. Yes, I know that link is regarding the Windows 7 RC, but the installation process is the same, so it won't matter.

After booting into Windows, you then put in the Snow Leopard DVD. From there you'll probably have to open the disc itself and find the BootCamp.exe file in the Boot Camp folder. After that, download the appropriate Boot Camp updates.

5. Snazziosity thread starter macrumors newbie

Here are some pictures of what happens:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And that's as far as I can get. :(

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Wow, that is very bizarre. :confused: Just to be sure, did you already have a Windows partition on you Mac?

I did some quick Google searches using "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVDm or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note. If the windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step." and I have seen on a couple occasions where people tried using a different optical drive (even a brand new one from a retail store) and then everything installed flawlessly. While I don't want to say your optical could be going out, I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

The disc is completely clean and spec-free I'm guessing, right?

I've also seen some posts about bad DVD burns being the culprit. Some people downloaded the Windows 7 disc image straight from Microsoft's TechNET website, and re-burning the image to a DVD on the lower speed settings apparently fixed the problem. I know you have a retail disc, but I'm just trying to throw out any ideas.

I'll keep doing some research. This seems to be a common error somehow, although I've never seen it before.

7. Snazziosity, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

Snazziosity thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I have a partition, but it doesn't ask me where I want to install it!

I actually have a burned DVD that I got through my college. I'm trying to burn another copy right now (with a re-downloaded iso from the college's website), but I don't know if this will work, either, because the only Windows computer I have only has a CD burner (the file is small enough to fit on a CD, though). That computer is ancient...

I haven't had any other issues with my optical drive... hmm. I appreciate your help!

EDIT: Just tried it with a fresh CD. I got the exact same error. :(

8. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Huh. You're selecting "Custom (advanced)" and not "Upgrade", right? EDIT: Ah, after looking at the pictures you posted again, it looks like you're not even able to get that far.

If you already have a Windows partition on your Mac, try opening the Boot Camp Assistant in OS X and deleting the Windows partition. Then re-create the Windows partition. The Windows partition will be called "BOOT CAMP".

And you burned it using the slowest write speed option possible?

Wait, the Windows 7 image you're downloading is small enough to fit on a CD?

9. Snazziosity, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

Snazziosity thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried that. I'm giving it another go now...

EDIT: Same old, same old error. :(

Yes, I did. I'm trying to re-download the iso file now, but it's very slow going.

Yeah... not really sure why that is. It's like 600 MB or something around there.

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Good and good. But that last one, something doesn't seem right there. I've never seen a Windows 7 .iso that wasn't under 2 GB in size. Typically they're about 2 to 4 GB, but never larger than a single-layer DVD (4.7GB). I'm kind of at a loss. Maybe it's just the very basic OS itself with all the drivers striped out? But that wouldn't make sense. I'm sorry to ask, but you're 100% sure it's downloading all the way? I found a thread here where a guy kept having the .iso download stop at 600MB or 800MB and claim that the file was finished download.

11. Snazziosity thread starter macrumors newbie

I re-downloaded the file. I had another Windows computer that wasn't hooked up to anything that had a DVD burner, so I burned another DVD. Then I put it in my Mac overnight. When saw it this morning, all I had to do was install the drivers from the Snow Leopard disc and other assorted setup things. So, yay! It works now!

I really appreciate your help. Thank you!

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So summary

1. you "downloaded" a file and it didn't work.
    2. you downloaded it again, now it worked.

Might want to change title to [resolved]

13. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Nice! So it was the downloaded file. I knew a 600MB Windows 7 .iso did not sound right at all. Glad to hear everything works fine now.

14. SeattleScott macrumors newbie

Easier solution

I encountered the same problem. I selected the bootcamp partition to install windows, and got an error message saying Windows could not be installed because the partition was not formatted NTFS. The solution is, at this screen (where it allows you to click on getting the drivers), there is also an option to format the bootcamp partition. Select that instead of getting the drivers, and Windows will then format the bootcamp partition. Then reselect the boot camp partition to install Windows, and Windows should install okay.