Windows 7 installed. Can I update to win10?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by laudern, Feb 4, 2016.

1. laudern macrumors 6502a

i have windows 7 installed using bootcamp from mavericks. Mavericks bootcamp only supports up to Windows 7. Am I able to do my free update from Windows 7 to Windows 10? Will it still work on my mac????

2. prisstratton, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

Please give this page a read:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204990

Edit: I did several searches on the web to see if I could find anyone talking about what you want to do, but all I could find was people quoting the same information as I referenced.

3. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

First of all the golden rule is backing up before changing anything! :rolleyes:
    If you try any new thing please do not forget to make a bootable external clone of your OSX. :eek:

My experience follows for what it might be useful... or not at all (????):confused:

In my MacBook 4.1 early 2008 for reasons I don't know, installing Windows 7 did not work at all neither with a DVD nor with an .iso, but...Windows 8.1 did work (???) :confused: with the necessary drivers downloaded through BootCamp from Apple. Don't ask me why since I haven't the slightest idea, but it was so. :confused:

I have not yet done it but see no reason why Windows 10 should not replace my present Windows 8.1 as an upgrade on the Windows side. :rolleyes:

However, according to Apple, a MacBook 4.1 is not among the macs able to run any newer Windows than Windows 7!!!!?? :rolleyes:
    Therefore that info from Apple could be possibly questioned. :confused:

Again, if you try anything, be VERY cautious. :eek:
    If it makes a mess of your OSX, have a bootable external clone drive to be able to restore your OSX from it.
    I take no responsibility for any problem which might appear in your computer because of what happened in my old MacBook (of course!), but simply tell here my own experience even if i do not understand it. :)
    Ed

4. laudern thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried it. I had all of my drivers installed under Windows 7. I then upgraded to Windows 10. And when I did it wiped all of my drivers. So I went to reinstall them but the install wouldn't run because it was not windows 7.

I tried installing the drivers separately through the files that bootcamp makes but I couldn't get all of them to work.

So that is my windows experience. I just wiped it and will continue to solely use os x. Much less hassle and works far bet5er anyway.