Windows 7 .iso Boot Camp help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jl937, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jl937 macrumors newbie

so i get a free windows 7 download from my school and i'm trying to install it on my MBP. couldn't get it to work, but i do have the registration code, so i downloaded a .iso of Windows 7 Professional. boot camp isn't recognizing it though. what do i have to do so that boot camp will recognize it as the Windows 7 setup? i've tried burning the .iso to a disk, that didn't work. also tried mounting the .iso on the desktop and burning the contents to a disk. that also didn't work... total beginner at this, please help!

2. leekaiwei macrumors member

leekaiwei

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

What kind of computer do you have?

What operating system are you running?

Are you using the bootcamp setup assistant?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You need to burn it to a disc properly, which is easy to mess up if you don't know what you are doing. Burn OS X (http://burn-osx.sf.net) can help.

As the previous poster asked. Which Mac (as specific as possible) and OS?

B

5. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have a mid-2010 MBP, 2.4GHz dual core i5, 4gigs memory, running OSX Lion 10.7.1. yes, I'm using Boot Camp Assistant, and it's not really giving any "error message". i burnt the .iso to a disk but evidently that's not enough for boot camp assistant to recognize it as the windows install disk that i want to use? when it says to insert the windows 7 install disk i insert the disk with the .iso file and a message comes up that says "insert your Windows installer disk and wait a few seconds for the disk to be recognized" or something like that.

6. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I did mine on a 2011 MBA, so I don't know if this method will work for you or not.

I downloaded a Win 7 ISO and saved it to a flash drive. I put that flash drive in one USB port. In another USB port I put a blank flash drive (I think it needs to be a minimum of 8gb). Then I ran Boot Camp Assistant. It read the ISO and created a bootable installation on the blank flash drive. Boot Camp Assistant did all the work, I didn't have to intervene until it came time to install drivers.

Good luck.

8. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice. i've done some reading, and from what i gather, it's not very simple to run boot camp assistant from a flash drive with MBPs.... if you can even do it at all. because airs have no built in disk drive, apple offers that option to boot from a flash drive. so i am pretty much stuck finding someway to make the disk work i think

9. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

If you have to burn an install disk, it's always best to burn at as slow a speed as possible. If you can go down to 2x, do that and go out for a break. It really can make a difference.

10. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay, thanks. i have a few extra dvds left to use so i'll give that a try

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

A couple things to check.

If you mount the burned disc under OS X and see an ISO file on the drive you burned it wrong.

If BCA still doesn't recognize your disc. Try rebooting your Mac while holding down Alt/Option while it is rebooting.

B

12. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

you mentioned that if i can see the iso, i burned it wrong... what do i have to do to burn it "correctly?

13. arneman macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I downloaded my .iso file from the MSDNAA site and burned it using the tool in Mac OSX. The disc works because windows boots from it, but then I receive the message that the CD/DVD drivers are missing. I burned it on the slowest speed possible (x2).

14. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

It sounds like you are putting the iso file on a disk rather than burning the iso to a disk.
    If you double click your iso it will mount, open disk utility and click on the windows disk image (which will be on the left hand side) then click the burn icon near the top of the window. set the speed to the slowest and click burn.

15. arneman macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I did, when I boot the Windows install through bootcamp I see the dik and the folders on it. But it claims I don't have the drivers for the CD/DVD available. I installed all updates and checked for firmware updates. My current version is: MBP81.0047.B1E

16. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what to suggest I used a usb stick install with rEFIt on my air and it worked great, the reason I like refit is that it gives you a gui boot menu when you turn the mac on letting you choose windows or mac, and it supports cd/dvd/usb boot.
    If you have a usb stick big enough I would suggest trying that method, just restore the windows.iso to the usb stick via disk utility.

17. arneman macrumors newbie

Just noticed it's not working with a virtual machine either, so i'll have to try with a different ISO tonight

18. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I hate it when that happens, just a few bytes out but it seems to be fine and mounts properly but just doesn't work properly! it's happened to me before, I hope you have better luck with the next one!

19. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

@arneman

how did you get the .iso download from the MDSNAA website? i tried to download it and all it give me is an .exe file

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

21. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

that was my plan. i first did the MSDNAA download so i have the activation code but can only get an .exe file when i try to download it for some reason. so my next plan was to try the .iso from digital river. i downloaded it but i can't get Boot Camp Assistant to recognize the .iso any way i've tried it..... so that's where i'm sitting at now

22. arneman macrumors newbie

When you're trying to download on the MSDNAA site it opens some kind of download assistant. That's the .Exe file you're trying to open. So unfortunately you'll have to download it on a Windows PC. Once this is done, you can place it on your Mac and burn it with the disk utility. After this you let bootcamp work it's magic.

I've been fighting with this problem for 2 weeks until I tried the ISO in virtualbox. I had the same driver error here, so this told me it probably was a buggy image. I burned the ISO from a friend and it worked great.

I suggest you try this to, burn a different image and see how that goes.

23. jl937 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you everyone for the help and comments, i officially have Win7 up and running! (i'm actually submitting this post from the windows side of my MBP, so exciting) i followed arneman's advice and burned another disk image to the dektop from the mounted .iso i had downloaded from digital river, then burned that new disk image to a dvd using disk utility as bigeasy_uk had mentioned. worked like a charm and Boot Camp Assistant took care of everything! again, THANK YOU everyone for your help! it's great to finally have this taken care of