Windows 7 issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sabre364, Sep 7, 2010.

1. sabre364 macrumors member

Last time I tried booting directly to windows, I was using vista and leopard in mid 2008.

I have an early 2008 macbook pro 4,1. 2.4 core 2 duo, 4 gigs ddr2.

I had lots of usability issues, but had heard many improvements with the new bootcamp versions so with my new hard drive (warranty) I decided to try it out.

Installation went off without a hitch but I am still facing some issues.

1. The laptop gets insanely hot even under normal use. I have been googling fan control programs and found 'lubbo's fan control program' in sourceforge but its not installing...i get a 'i.o drivers not found'

2. How do I turn off bluetooth in windows 7?

3. the trackpad is having issues. two finger scrolling is awfully fast even on the lowest setting in control panel so I installed 'trackpad++' which did seem to help to some extent. However I can't three finger back/for or anything. I found apple's magic trackpad update 1.0 (released july 2010) but even after install its not working?

4. Keyboard is also a bit erratic with speed even after adjusting settings in control panel.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could anybody give me their experiences here?

Thanks.

2. tastychicken macrumors member

I had a 2007 15" 2.2 MBP a while back and i ran windows vista almost all the time. Here are my thoughts.

1. There's not a whole lot you can do there except set the fan speed using SMC in osx first or use lubbo's fan control.

2. You can disable bluetooth through the device manager.

3. Sorry never experience issues here.

4. Same as 3.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

#3 and #4 are apples fault for making bad drivers. Not much you can do about it. Gestures arent supported my apple.

4. Tarek macrumors 6502

Which version of Boot Camp do you have installed? If you don't already have 3.1, install it because it fixes most of the issues you addressed here. I have an early 2008 MacBook Pro running Windows 7 on Boot Camp and am facing zero issues with my trackpad and keyboard as well as my bluetooth Magic Mouse and USB Apple Keyboard.

5. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

I thought it was 3.1 because I had just installed the drivers from the snow leopard cd. However, on the loaner laptop I am using (unibody mbp/parallels/vista) I JUST got a software update for bootcamp 3.1 via the in windows updater.

I will try the installation again and run all in windows updates. I had also heard it cures msot of the trackpad issues and everything perhaps besides the heat generated.

Are you regularly running 7? Do you have a fan control program installed?

Thanks for the help, I'd really love it if I could get this to work well!

6. Tarek macrumors 6502

A MacBook Pro heating up is normal. You could try smcFan on Macintosh and there was a certain one for Windows that I had but I cannot remember the name at the moment. I'll look for it and let you know.

Yes, I am regularly running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and I have zero issues with it. It's so much better than Windows XP and Windows Vista, and I feel like it's the most compatible with Boot Camp. When you install the Boot Camp drivers from a Snow Leopard DVD, it's usually version 3.0 not 3.1, but I see you're going to download and install the update.

Yes, 3.1 fixes most, if not all, of the trackpad issues. When you open the Boot Camp Control Panel, you'll see a Trackpad category where you can configure it for your needs.

Don't worry, everything will hopefully work fine when you update to 3.1. And if anything goes wrong, just post here or PM or email me (tarek.elsakka@hotmail.com) and I sure am going to try and help you.

Good luck.

7. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. It appears I do have 3.1.

As per my issues.
    1. I will check on smc fan. Running osx my early 2008 would get hot anyways just watching youtube videos.
    2. I figured out the disabling, do I want to disable the 'generic bluetooth adapter' or 'microsoft bluetooth enumerator' or both? I am just looking to turn it off because I dont use it. The reason I didn't find it earlier was I assumed it was a quick right click away.
    a)At the lowest scroll setting the two finger is still faster than i'd like.
    b)Two finger horizontal scrolling doesn't appear to work?
    c)Three finger forward and back doesn't work - this would be AWESOME if I could get it to work...almost enough to make me unfortunately use osx as the primary o/s till I can get a new comp in 2 years.
    d)I had previously installed 'trackpad++' which definitely seemed to help issue a, not so much c and d. Not sure how to upgrade drivers after that is installed though, gotta figure out how to uninstall/roll back if there are new drivers via boot camp - but I guess thats simply a learning how to use the new windows issue.
    4. After drastically lowering the settings in keyboard refresh rate it appears to make a big difference.

New issue
    5. Tap to click is especially sensitive (it randomly is highlighting stuff with the slightest touch). I will reinstall trackpad++ (was going to anyways as per 3d) and see if it helps.

Are you using Trackpad++? It seems an absolute requirement since the two finger scroll is brutally fast. Does anybody use Powerplan, are there advantages in using that? I don't really care for it but it appears it needs to be installed for trackpad++.

I may switch the keys for command/windows and control since it is more instinctive to use the command/windows as a control key. Any recommended programs for this?

What are the video card drivers yall are using? Any updates directly from the nvidia site?
    Again, I appreciate the help. I have had less than helpful responses in the past so I am very pleased!

8. Tarek macrumors 6502

I will try as much as possible to answer your inquiries.

*Disable Generic Bluetooth Adapter

*Yes, two finger scrolling is fast on Windows - same thing here. But I got used to it. I usually put my two fingers, scroll down once, then remove them, and then put them again and do the same. That usually works. OR just use the arrow keys.

*Two finger horizontal scrolling does not work. That's the case with any MacBook Pro running Windows on Boot Camp. So that's normal.

*When on Windows, you can't use three fingers. It will not even detect them.

*Remove the Boot Camp drivers by doing the following. Start > Computer > Uninstall or Change a Program > highlight Boot Camp Services and Uninstall.

Restart your computer, boot into Windows, insert your Mac OSX installation CD and install Boot Camp. Restart your computer. Boot into Windows again, right click the Boot Camp icon on the taskbar > About. If it says 3.0 then download one of the following:

Boot Camp 3.1 Update for x86 (32-bit): http://support.apple.com/kb/DL996
    Boot Camp 3.1 Update for x64 (64-bit): http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979

Install and restart. Everything should work normally except for the issues addressed in the beginning of my post, those are normal and I don't think there's a fix for them yet.

*Yes, tap to click is very sensitive, that's why I disable it because I keep accidentally touching the touch pad while typing. HATE THAT when it happens.

*Nope, I've never used Trackpad++ as I don't have a use for it. I always use my Magic Mouse (previously an awesome Microsoft Arc one) because I hate the MacBook Pro's touch pad when working on Windows. But I always uncheck everything under Trackpad in the Boot Camp Control Panel when I am going to use the trackpad except "Secondary click" under two finger section, which makes me put two fingers on the touch pad and then click the trackpad button.

I hope you got what I stated here. My English isn't very good as it is my second language but I sure hope it is clear for you.

EDIT - I forgot to add that I have a Nividia GeForce 8600M GT. My MBP is early 2008 like yours so I suppose you have the same one? If so, install these drivers even if boot camp already installed graphics drivers for you:

86x (32-bit) drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-258.96-whql-driver.html
    64x (64-bit) drivers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

Install then restart your computer.

EDIT AGAIN: You can remap your keyboard's keys using this application: http://www.randyrants.com/2008/12/sharpkeys_30.html

This is a tutorial on how to use Sharp Keys: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/map-any-key-to-any-key-on-windows-xp-vista/

9. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply, that pretty much answers all the questions i have at the moment

and your english is great, no worries there!

10. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

So is anybody dealing with sub standard wireless when running windows 7?

If I am right next to the router I get full 5 bars, when I am in my room (small apartment) I get 2 maybe 3 if I am lucky where I used to get full bars when running osx.

Seems like its ok here in my apartment, but in a larger house? Will I be facing terrible wireless when I am at my parent's house where the router is downstairs? This might be the deal breaker here...Otherwise I am thoroughly enjoying windows 7.

Any 3rd party drivers for the wireless card?

And as far as touchpad 3 finger back/forth, etc I know there are third party drivers for synaptics touchpads (used on every windows lappy pretty much) that make that feature available, but I guess I can deal with that in this case.

11. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

Magic Trackpad

Article: HT4273: About Apple Magic Trackpad Update 1.0 for Windows
    The Multi Touch Trackpad Update has different gesture support depending on the operating system you are using. Refer to this chart to learn about the differences.

12. Tarek macrumors 6502

I live in a big house and I have a very good Linksys router Wireless-N (I think that's what it is called) that I paid a lot for, yet the signal is still bad. The router is in my room and I only get full bars when I am in it, otherwise, it's usually 2 or 3 just like you said - even if it's the room right next to mine.

That happens with both Macintosh OS X and Windows, it's just that sometimes the signal bars in Mac OS X aren't as accurate as they are in Windows, if you get what I mean. Sometimes it gives you five, but you it's in reality three, you'll notice the difference if you download something.

@Baby Mac, interesting update. However, I read the checklist and I don't see what's special about it. I can already do almost everything checked under Windows 7 64-bit so I don't see why it is so important.

13. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

I think the magic trackpad is the stand alone device that is sold. The one big difference appears to be the horizontal scrolling.

14. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

To get slower scrolling set the number of line for the mouse *wheel* to 2 or even 1 in Windows Mouse settings.

Concerning the heat issue: The reason why it's hotter is because it always uses the faster GPU instead of switching between Intel and Nvidia (or uses the 9600M instead of 9400M if you are on a 08/09 model).

And if you are using an external monitor and have *both* displays running (internal + external) the NVidia driver switches to full 3D performance mode and *stays* there. This alone makes for a 10 watts difference in power-draw when idle.

Concerning Bluetooth: Usually there is no reason to switch it off, but if you want to you have to make sure that no BT device is connected (like the Apple wireless keyboard or mouse), else Device-Manager wont let you disable it.

15. sabre364 thread starter macrumors member

I have an early 2008, so its a 8600M GT, but I have also heard the fans run at 1000 rpm idle rather than 2000 rpm idle under osx. I have not yet tried installing lubbos fan control.

I have been using it exclusively for a few days and a few issues I have noticed so far. 1. obviously the battery life is not as good as osx even in windows running 'power saver' mode 2. Definitely have to be careful typing even with trackpad++ sometimes get a click out of nowhere (just happened 2x typing this reply). 3. backlight doesnt always 'stay' turned off with powerplan7 - sometimes have to redo this after a sleep session 4. heat is high 5. wireless performance is good...but worrisome, don't get anywhere near the 'bars' I get with osx...could be a real issue for me outside my apartment.

Most of those issues are slight nagging issues, but the wireless is something I need to keep my eye on.

It definitely seems I will be able to primarily run windows 7 on this laptop.

16. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Use CPUID HwMonitor to see the temp *and* fanspeed.

Windows draws more power mainly because it always uses the discrete graphic and because of Nvidia driver issues (maximum clock with external display on all versions and always on XP).

Concerning wireless: bars say nothing. Watch the status of your wireless connection to see the mbits. I can even get faster on Windows because the OS X driver does not allow full 300 mbit with my N standard router.