windows 7 makes me irritable

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mariahrg, Apr 30, 2010.

1. mariahrg macrumors member

mariahrg

please tell me that others are just as confused as me when using windows 7? i dont own a windows machine so when im FORCED to use one its not an enjoyable experience, specially when the hide the file menu. all i wanted to do was print...:confused:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Probably talking about the ribbon, like in Office 2007. No File Menu, just the orb or whatever they call it.

B

4. danielcox macrumors member

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It was confusing the first time. It took some time to get used to it in Paint. I'd just like to know which application they're encountering difficulties adjusting to.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If he's talking about that, all he has to do is click on it and it'll bring up print and other often used stuff.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Or just continue to use the same old keyboard shortcuts that all still work as I do.

BTW I suspect the OP may be female. Stupid language.

B

8. mariahrg thread starter macrumors member

mariahrg

i can do screenshots all day long on a mac...i dont even know where to start on a windows. im afraid if i hang out on it too long i might break out in hives. anyways...i figured it out. instead of a file menu they offer an "office button" in the top left corner. thats where they hide the print option. silly.

the other day it wouldnt connect to the wireless internet so i ran the troubleshooting thing 4 times trying to get it to work. it told me the wifi was turned off but didnt give me an option or directions to turn it back on. it ended up having a button on the keyboard up by F1 for turning it on/off. every time it is restarted (which is often of course) i have to turn turn it on. it has a mind of its own...does what it wants.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Despite all the digs about Microsoft copying OS X, there are significant differences between Windows 7 and OS X and anyone using either on a casual basis will struggle with those differences.
    Personally, I find Windows 7 is actually better than OS X in certain areas, just as OS X is better than Windows 7 in others.

For example, I think Windows 7's taskbar (which is really a combined dock and task bar) is much better than OS X's dock, but OS X has far better search capabilities. Also, Expose on OS X is useful whereas most of the eye candy in Windows 7 is just that (apart from, perhaps, aero peek) and serves little or no useful purpose.

Microsoft also seemed to have refined the much maligned UAC in Windows 7 and it's now no more intrusive than (and almost as useful as) the secondary authentication in OS X.

Windows Explorer is much better than Finder (IMO), but the command shell is still weak compared the Unix goodness is OS X.

I think Windows 7 is actually a solid operating system and easily the best thing to come out of Redmond for years (Although that might not be saying much ;) ), but it isn't OS X and the only way to get the best out of it when you have to use it is to accept the differences and learn the OS. It's a bit like Mac switchers who incessantly complain about the lack of a maximize button on Windows instead of learning why OS X doesn't have a maximize button per se :)

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It won't be so hard the second time. The more you know.

I wouldn't fault Microsoft for the decisions of a hardware OEM.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I'm sure I would be totally lost since I haven't touched a Windows machine in a long time--even my ancient Dell running XP hasn't been started in many months.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Win7 is great. I like using it and found little problems but then I work and support windows desktops and servers for a living, so I have a bit of experience with windows.

13. mariahrg thread starter macrumors member

mariahrg

i guess its just change. change is hard when youre comfortable where youre at, and when it comes to windows im comforable with '98. im just glad its my co-workers computer thats running windows 7. if they wanted to upgrade my computer thats running xp to windows 7 i would quit or ask for a raise.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Have a look at these links, which will help you adapt. For some stupid reason MS decided to not make available an option to use the 2003 menus. There is software to do this though:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100744321033.aspx

http://kb.iu.edu/data/auqa.html

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9011145/Word_2007_Cheat_Sheet_Quick_Reference_Charts

15. mariahrg thread starter macrumors member

mariahrg

16. danielcox macrumors member

I disagree about the search - there isn't much in it now and actually when Vista and Tiger were head to head the Microsoft implementation was better (in features and speed).

17. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Google is still your friend. I've been on various versions of Windows for 17 years now and have to look up some OS X functions constantly because the interface is simply different. Example - app installation on OS X, a seemingly simple task, too me a while to figure out because I was just used to a different installation procedure. Which, btw, is oversimplified. I think dropping of application in your app folder is idiotic because it gives you practically no control over the installation parameters. But you don't see me crying about it on the forum.

18. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Ugh I have my gripes about Windows 7.

Today I was setting up my dads computers, he has a pc that runs Windows 7 and another pc that runs Kubuntu(as of today). And he wanted to print from the Kubuntu pc, the printer was connected to the Windows 7 machine. So i spend hours tying to share the printer from Windows 7 and gave up and imnstead installed :apple:'s cups printer software on Kubuntu and had the share running in minutes.

19. No1451 macrumors 6502

Setting up printer sharing takes all of 2 minutes, if you had that much trouble you were doing it wrong. Even cross platform, I have my MacBook set up to print by default from my desktops shared printer just fine.

20. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

So true. OS X and Windows 7 have their differences but they are not so drastically different that an intermediate computer user can't figure most things out on his/her own or just Google the feature or problem. There are answers to almost everything on the web now. Faster than trying to find the answer in most books, even the Missing Manual ones.