Windows 7 Multi-threading

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by yxt3625, Feb 17, 2010.

1. yxt3625 macrumors newbie

I am running windows 7 ultimate on Mac Pro Dual Quad cores with boot camp 3.1. I run SolidWorks 2008. For the most part when I regenerate features, only 30% of the cores are running at most. Am I missing something? Aren't all the cores suppose to be running?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Mitch

2. TennisandMusic

How multi threaded is solidworks? A program has to be coded to use all the available cores, it doesn't happen automatically of course.

3. yxt3625 thread starter macrumors newbie

another guy in my office use a $400 Dell with 2 Dual cores told me that all 4 cores are running at the same time when regenerate complex features.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That doesn't necessarily mean that it scales well beyond 4 threads. (Since I assume you mean you have one of the current octo-cores which handle 16 threads with hyper-threading, 30% of 16 is ~5.)

B

5. yxt3625 thread starter macrumors newbie

although when I do rendering with MAYA from DOS window, I can render with all 8 cores 100%.
    I understand it's application specific.

6. yezza macrumors regular

Hi Mitch,

The vast majority of processing in the basic Solidworks program cannot be, and is not, multi-threaded (such as in rebuilds etc). If you have a look at the Solidworks Community forum, you will see that all of the most experienced users will recommend buying the fastest dual core you can buy. The only reason you'd choose to purchase more than two cores is if you plan on doing a lot of multi-tasking (which most professional SW users do not do much of, as they are at their most productive when focusing solely on SW). Some of the other reasons more cores become useful, is when using Photoworks, Photoview 360, of doing any FEA in Simulation (and possibly any animation, but I can't remember off the top of my head whether multi cores are better here).

The biggest bottleneck in using SW is processor clock speed, hands down. This is assuming the rest of your hardware is sufficient.

Hope this helps.

7. mapexmac007 macrumors newbie

mapexmac007

Win7 on Mac Pro - Snow Leopard - for SolidWorks

Hi Yezza -
    you're obviously quite knowledgeable about this topic - I'm hoping you can help me out with some pointers. I've got a 2006 Mac Pro (first issue) dual core Xeon 3.0 Ghz processors, 12 GB RAM, (4) 500 GB HDs, and the Quadro-FX 4500 video card required to run SolidWorks.

I've just upgraded to SnowLeopard, and I've installed Boot Camp. I've got an OEM disc for Win7 64bit. Upon trying to load Win7, I got that nefarious error:

Identify CD-ROM type: _

I know enough to know it comes down to Win7 64bit drivers - a USB driver for starters. I'll need a graphics driver, etc. Then there's the EFI stuff...

Where are people getting these drivers, how are they loading them? I'm desperate for any advice, help, pointers, info.

I cannot stomach running SolidWorks 2010 in 32bit XP-Pro another day! :mad:

I don't want to think about using Vista, but if that's a necessary starting point, I'll pony-up and buy a legit copy cheaply on-line.

Thanks in advance for ANYONE's help! Cheers -
    MM007

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member