Windows 7 Network performance offers 2x the throughput as OS X

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by nocoast, May 10, 2009.

1. tyechan macrumors newbie

2. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

No, but it is included in the windows 7 release candidate which can be found/downloaded here.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

With a unibody macbook pro the only three drivers you need to get your computer running in "functional" state are the

Realtek HD audio driver (can be found on bootcamp/osx install dvd)

Nvidia Chipset drivers (can be found on bootcamp/osx install dvd)

Nvidia 64 bit Video drivers http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_win7_x64_185.85_whql.html

OR

Nvidia 32 bit video drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_win7_185.85_whql.html

depending on whether or not your using 64 bit...

And as for actual performance differences. I max my connection out with a torrent and then i try to load a web page in os x...and it calls for too much bandwidth, the connection chokes and locks up. I max my connection out with a torrent in win 7, try to load a web page, loads at the usual speed, no choke. Lower latency too!

3. MAGICMOXTER macrumors regular

you can never get 300MBP/s from your internet anyway, even with the fastest broadband, so whats the point? Its only usefull for internal networks.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Time Capsule backups (on an N network), Apple TV syncing etc. Yeah.. 300Mbits/s is pretty useful.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You obviously haven't enjoyed the fruits of downloading TBs of files every week for months at a time.

6. Jeremy08 macrumors regular

but these ones apparently are even newer than those...after i installed them on my 2.4 alu macbook, it upped my experience from a 4.4 to a 5.2 ....pretty impressive, thats with 4gb of ram btw.

depending on whether or not your using 64 bit...

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

As I and so many others have said, you are comparing unreleased technology to current technology. If you want a fair comparison, compare Vista's crappy network file transfers to Leopards, or wait for Snow Leopard.

8. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

What drivers are you talking about? I just intalled Windows 7 64 bit and used the standard Boot Camp drivers but if there are others that would give me increased performance I sure would love to have them!

9. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Is there proof of this or are you just saying that? (not trying to fight; honest question)

I've always noticed the Windows side of things (internet-wise) was always more responsive than OS X, not to a huge extent but it is noticeable.

11. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

well this is a HUGE difference in throughput. Anywho...lower latency too ;)

12. tyechan macrumors newbie

I've just tried to install using the HP Network drivers, and I can't even connect to internet anymore.

is there any way you could host the drivers on mediafire or something ?

13. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

wtf are you talking about? What computer is this for? i originally posted this in the macbook pro subforum because this thread is about the broadcom drivers for the unibody macbook pro...What is this about HP drivers? If you had an mbp and it was working w/ the broadcom drivers and you stupidly tryed to "upgrade" to HP drivers...you can go to device manager, select your wireless adapter then hit properties or something of the like then hit "roll back driver" you should be in bidnizz ;) :D

He is just saying that...there is 0 proof of that.

14. tyechan macrumors newbie

I only installed the HP drivers because the original drivers didn't work.

15. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

dude you still have yet to explain what hardware this is for...

16. tyechan macrumors newbie

sorry its for a macbook pro, the one just before uni-body, i think its the feb 2008 model.

17. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

Did you consider using the bootcamp drivers on your os x installation disk? I assume that will work if the disk has drivers...I was writing with regards to the unibodies and the broadcom chip though, apparently you do not see this huge performance increase...lol

18. tyechan macrumors newbie

tried both 2.0 and 2.1 drivers the quality is terrible, and then I saw some people using the updated HP drivers that didnt work either

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

Definitely useful!

I guess I've been lucky as all of my OS X machines have always been able to connect at 300 MBPS when using 802.11n.

I just assumed that Windows 7 would connect at the same speed.

20. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

The quality??? A driver either works or it doesnt :confused:

21. tyechan macrumors newbie

it blantantly does in my case, in mac osx my download speed is around 150kb/s and in windows 7 its 6kb/s...

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Was this a particular problem on MBPs? My MacBook has always been able to do 300MB/s in n only with my AEBS.

23. nocoast thread starter macrumors member

"whereas older drivers (including OS X) only connect upto 130 mbit/s with many routers. "

Perhaps you were lucky enough to have a router that did support it...i didnt though :confused:

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ahh! I see. Yes, I have an Apple router. I guess this means there is no real incentive for Apple to develop proper drivers as "It just works" as long as you are using all Apple equipment running Apple software. Shame.