Windows 7 not activation issue

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by beerglass007, Mar 19, 2013.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Hi all

Before I begin yes its a genuine copy of windows 7 PRO 64bit I have.

I have a brand new late 2012 iMac 21.5" and installed VMware fusion and windows 7 via bootcamp.

Using bootcamp to dual boot I activated my copy of windows 7 Pro no problem. Its updated and genuine, works fine.

But when I boot back into OSX and load up VMware fusion and startup the bootcamp windows 7 in a VM its not activated. Why is this ?

I've not had this problem before with windows and VMware on my older iMac 2010

2. Stooby Mcdoobie, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

The VM is treated as a separate install from the Boot Camp partition, even though they're one in the same. Just reenter your serial and it should reactivate. If that doesn't work, call the support number and you'll be given an alternate way to activate (usually consists of a machine telling you to enter a sequence of alphanumeric characters into the activation box).

Parallels also has this "problem."

3. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

So does VirtualBox

4. chrfr macrumors 603

This is normal behavior. Before you reactivate, be sure you've installed VMWare Tools, otherwise you'll have to reactivate once more after you do.
    Once you've installed the Tools, just run the activation process- you may have to do it by phone but it will work.