Windows 7 not working with 27" iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wakerider017, Jan 20, 2010.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Just heard about the new support for Windows 7 yesterday.

I have a copy of Windows 7 Pro x64 (Downloaded an ISO from DigitalRiver and burned to a DVD. I paid for the license back in october. it was a digital download.)

I was going to download the 3.1 bootcamp update, but saw it was an exe which I guess means I have to install it in Windows after I install the OS?

Followed all the instructions listed here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

Everything seems to install fine, it goes through the whole process and then restarts which leaves me with a black screen ever after 30 mins.

I tried doing the whole process over again from the beginning while I went to the store. Came back and it appeared the computer was sleeping so I clicked the magic mouse and the computer awoke with a black screen still. (Found this interesting because doesn't that mean the bluetooth is working fine?)

I am at a loss guys? What should I do to get Windows 7 Pro x64 working on my iMac?

P.S. this is the imac I have:

27-inch: 3.06GHz, ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB, 4GB RAM

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

3. donster28 macrumors 65816

When you say "the whole process" do you mean after installing bootcamp in Windows?

4. donster28 macrumors 65816

5. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I put the correct files on my properly formatted external drive that apple tells me to do in that support doc.

Then I open up bootcamp 3.0 in Mac and partition 80GB for Windows, stick in my Win 7 Pro disc and start install. Computer restarts and I am prompted by Win 7 installer to select language and what not. Then I format the 80GB partition under advanced drive options. It starts installing windows, copying files, completing installation and all those things it has to do on that list. then it restarts once or twice and goes black.

6. donster28 macrumors 65816

Ahh, I see. Please see the previous responses and you will find a link to possibly solve your problem. You seem to be following the book step-by-step. I believe this has something to do with the ATI video drivers. :)

7. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Thanks!

I'll try this link found in the above article:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/10/26/how-to-install-windows-7-onto-the-new-27in-imac/

Seems kinda ridiculous the amount of work it takes to get it working... Certainly not user friendly...

8. guywhoisweird macrumors newbie

apple also has a support document up about this. the issue is with the drivers and you are supposed to put them onto a usb drive so that windows will use it

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

9. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Thanks for the help!

Read a few posts up, I tried putting the described drivers on my Seagate 2.5" External USB Drive that I formatted according to that document. Didn't take.

Maybe I should try using a flash drive instead?

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah a flash (USB) drive would (likely) be what they mean.

11. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

That very well could be the problem. If it is, that support doc should be clarified.

I'll try and let you know if it works.

12. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

One thing I just noticed...

Well there is no AutoUnattended.xml in that download... Only AutoUnattend.xml

What gives

13. wakerider017 thread starter macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Well it worked with a flash drive. Apple needs to be more specific and fix that typo.

Also I was able to do a fresh install with an upgrade key. (I bought the Win 7 Pro 32-bit upgrade). Downloaded the full version of Win 7 Pro 64-bit did a clean install and then did this:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...l/thread/017fc495-95f6-4fa7-9c96-ebd5875d74e8

You can download a full version of Windows 7 Here:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

Mods keep in mind this is all legal and supported by Microsoft!

14. MaxRusky macrumors newbie

No stereo mix in bootcamp windows 7 x64 ? cpu goes crazy when headphone jack plugged

I have sound issues on my imac 27 with bootcamp windows 7 x64.

1) I have no stereo mix in recording or playing options. I have tried downloading driver software for cirrus logic, but nothing has worked.

Do any imac 27 windows 7 get stereo mix in your sound options?

2) when you plug in the headset plug in causes cpu to go up about 20 percent. This is not on the mac side, only using bootcamp windows. goes back down after removing the headset.

Anyone else have this issue in imac running windows?

3) The imac has a tri band headset plug of the type trrs. It is the same as on the iphone and works fine with a trrs headset like the iphone headset. It allows you to record from the headset mic rather than the embedded imac mike (better quality). Problem is it doesn't work on the windows side.

Anyone having the same issue with the imac running windows 7 64 or 32 from bootcamp?

I have read from other forums that the 3.1 and imac updates dont fix the problem.

can you imac windows 7 users share info on this?

Thanks for help ! basic sound is one of the most important aspects, and I am disappointed that the cirrus logic soundcard is not really supported by apple in windows, and cirrus logic is no help either.

So, anyone have these issues as on my imac, or anyone NOT having them?

appreciate the imput!

prof. Max

15. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I tried what was listen here with no luck. I am stuck with just a black screen with a blinking cursor. I get the same exact problem when trying to install Windows Vista x64 as well. Both installs go entirely through but upon first regular startup it hangs at the black screen with a cursor.

16. mr.thedaniel macrumors regular

17. Gepper macrumors member

18. Runemacca macrumors newbie

Have the excact same problem. Also tried the usb thingy :(

Hope someone can help....

/Rune