Windows 7 OEM with ISO

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Void5150, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Void5150 macrumors member

Hello,

I have to use an ISO to dualboot Mac with Windows because I don't have a DVD drive.

I got a new copy of Windows 7 Professional 64bit OEM.

The key has not been used.

Will the key work with the respective ISO? The ISO doesn't say OEM.

Thanks.

2. STVA macrumors newbie

It may work, but you are violating the license agreement. OEM copies of Windows are for sale to system builders, who install it on a custom built computer that they are selling to a customer. If you want to be legal, you need to buy the retail copy of Windows to use on a Mac. It is more expensive but the OEM version isn't for use on Macs.

3. Void5150 thread starter macrumors member

Is the retail version of Windows 7 even available anymore?

This has all been a big hassle, I might just use Mac on its own. :(

4. austinpike macrumors 6502

It will work fine. Just make sure you install the correct version to match your key. (Pro key won't activate Home or Ultimate.)

Assuming you are installing from a thumb drive, make sure it is USB2 - Windows gets unhappy when using USB3 to install.

5. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

I don't think it matters what version of 7 you download or install, the Key is what determines the version you'll be able to run.

If for e.g. you decide you want to run Ultimate but only have a key for Home Premium, it will fail to register ...please don't try that or you'll have to wipe your Ultimate install and start again. The OEM version differs from the retail version in that it is delivered to system builders without the fancy packaging\labelling and may have additional specific drivers for the OEM machine's shortcut buttons, I wouldn't bother with that or you'll just end up installing additional guff you won't use.

You can also download an SP1 ISO of Win7 (Google it) and put it on a USB drive for install.

Microsoft.com...

All of the above on the proviso you have an unused Key.