Windows 7 - OK With the Ad Campaign?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by John Doe 57, Dec 5, 2009.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Found this picture on the MLB website. I'm pretty sure that there are minors who go to that site. Why would Windows do this?

If you are drunk you shouldn't be operating a bike. Any officer would stop you.

Attached Files:

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

What's up with the "I'm a PC - Windows is my idea" advertisements? I don't get it?

3. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

The ads are just face time. You don't really have a choice when you buy a PC now. You're getting Windows 7. So rather than tell you what it can do, they just show people saying "now it does what I wanted it to."

But when it comes down to it, consumers will buy it because it's all that's on the machines at the store.

Corporations will buy it next year once the deployment services are proven and stable.

It's like the US Postal Service. They have zero competition, yet they advertise stamp collecting and crap like that. They have money to blow on advertising before the end of the year, and they do it. Microsoft just wants a buzz, and between the Win7 and Bing ads, they're getting their buzz.

Mac ads haven't said crap about what they do differently for years. Just talked about PCs being harder. Now Microsoft is using the same approach. Talk about how great it is, but don't show anybody why.

4. ricof macrumors member

I find it funny that Windows is all excited that its new OS can do some of the things that OSX introduced years ago.

And they are all smug about it.

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I couldn't have said it better! Like the "snap" feature in which you can see 2 windows at once. If I just simply press the F11 key, every window that is open becomes visible. There is no dragging the windows to the edge of the screen involved. I really don't understand how the PC can use that as a major commercial. (The guy with glasses in the shower)

Thats the other thing with these Windows commercials; each person says that they had an idea and it flashes back to them a wild ago. They don't even resemble the original actor to begin off with. I guess their ideas are also combined with their fantasies. (The black guy who is a 'bit' overweight turns into a male model who weighs 150 pounds lighter.)

6. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

No, only if you were under the influence of some sort of alcohol or other substance.
    Feeling powerful is hardly a cause for being stopped by the cops:confused:

Edit: The "Snap" feature is not even close to expose.. They are sooo different it is not even funny.
    Snap allows you have have 2 windows side by side and be able to work in them. Expose lets you see all of your windows at once.

Before you start saying negative things maybe you should have a clue what you are saying first.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

The adds are aimed at users that already have capable systems and skipped Vista, or are thinking of buying a new one (affirmation to push them off the fence and into a store/website; afterall, they make money on every system sold).

8. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

The ads are just another way of saying "It's not gonna have any of the problems Vista had." :D

9. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Really? You're making a big deal out of minors seeing "drunk with power?"

Please, grow the **** up. It's people like you that have forced our kids into a coddled society. When I was a kid, my toys hurt me. My transformers would rust and give me tetanus.

This is why our society is bringing up kids who have no fear, no morals, no backbone. Because we're worried about them seeing an ad that say "I'm drunk with power."

And btw, Windows 7 is actually a very good OS. Right up there with OS X in many respects, better in some respects.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I did a double take on an Windows 7 advert yesterday in Currys Digital.

"Windows 7. Get a new PC"

My first thought was yea, you're going to need a new PC to run it. Then it sounded more like its intended purpose - make your old PC feel new again. It really isn't a good tag line.

11. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Sorry Bill.

12. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    That's OK Steve B.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont think you understand the context of drunk. Words can and do have different meanings depending on the context

There is no mention of "alcohol" :rolleyes:

14. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well I guess you are right about that.

1. being in a temporary state in which one's physical and mental faculties are impaired by an excess of alcoholic drink; intoxicated: The wine made him drunk.

2. overcome or dominated by a strong feeling or emotion: drunk with power; drunk with joy.

3. pertaining to or caused by intoxication or intoxicated persons.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/drunk

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Yes drunk has at least two meanings, although one predominant these days. (just like you rarely see people using "intercourse" in its alternate ways)

Overall, I think this campaign of MS is pretty good. It messages that " we listen to our customers", you wanted things to change and we changed them. There is an undercurrent of "recovery from a failed Vista product" in all of their marketing.

You have to be subtle in marketing about saying "we failed but now we are going to do a lot better "

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The Mac has no built-in feature like Aero Snap. Maybe you’re talking about Aero Peek? Apple should consider copying Aero Snap because it’s super handy when trying to compare Web pages and documents.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/03/17/designing-aero-snap.aspx

17. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Aero snap is not bad. Its one of the nice additions in Win 7.

18. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

LOL, I just saw this ad on yahoo too. Who is running this campaign anyway? It is much more abrasive than the Mac ads, and "I'm a PC and Windows 7 was my idea" seriously? Who are they trying to market towards? I like windows 7, but these ads are hard not to laugh at, the guy with the glasses is the worst. I wonder if this has a negative effect on the sony vaio brand featured throughout the commercial. Who sets a laptop down that hard anyway :confused: windows drag and drop :D

19. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Osh killed the playgrounds. :(
    Osh is killing my Motorcycle. :'(

20. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Thank you for agreeing with me! The guess the user XNine presumes that I am really old. I'm 19 and in college and I never said that I don't drink. XNine assumes way too much!

21. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Windows is trying so hard to win people back and I don't know if it's working or not.

22. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Yeah, just because the guy in the ad looks like collage kid riding a fixie, and the word drunk appears in the ad, doesn't necessarily mean that they are talking about drinking. Now if there were ping pong balls and red cups, there would be a direct attempt to market toward collage students who don't like to click a lot.

XNine has a point in saying kids now are coddled and sheltered from experience, but that doesn't refute the fact that Microsoft is approaching there advertising in a less that tasteful way. 9 years old watching South park and saying **** this and **** that could be seen to disprove the point XNine was making. Not all kids are sheltered from unsavory social behavior, it is up to the parents to filter the ever growing accessible media they are exposed to on a daily occurrence. IT IS TRUE that toys now a days are way to protective of the users. My transformers were made of metal and they could hurt you, we learned about it from experience. Who has never gotten pinched by a G.I Joe torso? Why are legos like toy characters now? Our youths imagine is truly being crippled.

23. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

I just love the fact that there is a whole commercial dedicated to the fact that Windows 7 "wakes up quickly" and apparently does so only on one specific laptop. What a revelation!