Windows 7 on 4k iMac??

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nia3088, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Nia3088 macrumors newbie

Nia3088

When I try to install Windows 7 onto my iMac, I get a message saying that I need a 64-bit Windows or later ISO.

Is there no way of installing Windows 7??

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, Apple stopped supporting windows 7 a while ago. Download Windows 10 upgrade ISO (from Microsoft) since the upgrade is free and use your win 7 activation key on windows 10 (it will let you).

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

The other option would be to use virtualization, like VMware to put Windows 7, or any other OS on the Mac.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm more or less going that route. I'm preferring to stay in OS X, even for my windows needs. I have a bootcamp partition but overall there's really not much reason for me to boot out of OS X.

Running Windows in VMware is a good idea, one that did not come initially to mind :)

5. Nia3088 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nia3088

Thanks! This is the option I've ended up going with. I'm surprised by how well Parallels runs, and how easy it is!

6. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

If you haven't bought Parallels yet, you can also use VirtualBox. It's free and runs great.

7. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

It means you're trying to install a 32-bit version of Windows 7 and Boot Camp only supports 64-bit. Try again with a 64-bit version.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He's trying to install windows 7 and the error message is clear that he needs window 8 or higher to install, so I don't think a 64bit version of win7 will work.

9. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Oh that's right - if he's on one of the very latest Macs I think only Win8 and up will work (so 8, 8.1 and 10).