Windows 7 on a iMac 27 with Radeon 4850

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cerrutsi, Jan 14, 2010.

1. cerrutsi macrumors newbie

Hi, I've just received my brand new iMac 27 i7 with ATI Radeon 4850.

After installing Windows 7 64 bits with Boot Camp, the screen freezes a few seconds, gets black and comes back with a message that the ATI Radeon 4850 driver has failed and has been recovered. Sometimes it happens every 15 seconds.

I've tried to install the Windows Update driver, Apple Boot Camp drivers that came on the CD and Catalyst drivers and the problem isn't solved. I've also tried to disable aero but the problem is still there :(

2. jgonzo220 macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem as you....it's really frustrating....I've tried the Boot Camp drivers, and the ATI drivers, and still flashing black screens yellow and purple squares and "Driver has stopped working...recovered"

Does someone have the answer to this?

3. cerrutsi thread starter macrumors newbie

Indeed. Is your Mac new? I've just received it after more than a month waiting for it... :(

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This must be some sort of ati issue. My daughter's macpro with the x1900 has that same message about once or twice a week under vista. This is a rev 1.1 system from 2007 so this problem has been around awhile. She's running 32 bit vista home premium.

Cheers,

5. cerrutsi thread starter macrumors newbie

panzer06 the problem it's not once or twice a week. It's 30 times per hour sometimes. It's really frustrating...

6. lindafus macrumors member

lindafus

Use this ATI driver it works!

Hi all,

I had the same issues installing drivers in bootcamp and found that this driver resolved all the blackout issues and poka dots.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

This works. Since installing this driver I have not had ONE flicker or blackout or yellow poka dots! The above is the link for 64bit windows 7 however, they have links on that page for other versions of MS OS. Just go to the Radeon Mobile 4000 series search.

-Linda