Windows 7 on a Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GretchSum, Jun 21, 2010.

1. GretchSum macrumors newbie

I have an intel Mac Mini currently running Snow Leopard. I upgraded the hard drive from a 5400/160G to a 7200/320G. I have heard that Windows 7 can cause a Mac to run hotter, so I would like to know if it will run too hot for this set up?

2. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

3. GretchSum thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't figured that out yet. What would you recommend?

4. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

Well, first off, virtualizing Windows 7 won't give you the best experience. Virtualized hardware drivers suck, so that means no or limited 3d acceleration. Virtual Windows 7 would be fine for running Windows only applications.

If you are installing Windows 7 to take use of the features and new abilities like 'Aero', I would definitely install it via BootCamp. Windows shouldn't cause any problems with your Mini, it may run hotter, but shouldn't damage anything.

5. GretchSum thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it seems that Bootcamp is the best option. Thanks for that information.

6. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

Bootcamp is the best. I've tried VMWare Fusion 3, it's pretty horrible. BootCamp is much more customized and easier.

Cheers

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Quite the generalization, especially being that it is leading in the poll. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=938550

As long as you have the RAM to support it, it does quite well for many non-gaming uses.

B

8. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

I would agree as well, to go the Bootcamp route, keeping the OS's on a separate platform. You will be able to use your full RAM on each OS.

I did the same upgrades you did on my mini and have been running W7 with zero issues since December, except the initial bluetooth sync problem in W7 (but that was quickly cleared up) here's a link if you run into that http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=178232&highlight=#178232

I know some swear by the virtual route but I enjoy the stability of using the Windows and SL separately, on the great Apple hardware.

Also W7 runs great on a mini (probably much better than on a windows based PC)

Good luck.

9. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

I see your point. Maybe it's just the lack of Ram for me.