Windows 7 on a mac: what's the best solution for video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hawaga, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Hawaga macrumors member

Hi there!

I see a lot of threads with people using different solutions as to have Win7 on their machine: Bootcamp, Parallel Desktop, VM...

I'm new to this so I would like to know what's the best solution? I'd like to use Avid MC software for video editing, and I already have the license for the soft and plug ins on Windows...

Not knowing, I would presume bootcamp is the best solution, but would it lower the performance comparing to a native Windows PC?

Any comment from people with experience on this will be much appreciated, thanks! :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Bootcamp gives you the best performance and direct access to the hardware within windows Great for games and other apps that need the performance. The downside is that you have boot out of OSX and into windows.

VMware/Parallels, runs windows within OSX, and so performance will suffer, you'll also lose direct access to the hardware.

The upside if you're an occasional windows user that doesn't need the performance, i.e., office apps and such. The Vmware makes the most sense. If you're in windows most of the time or need performance boot camp makes more sense.

3. simsaladimbamba

Avid MC will not run in a virtual machine, at least you won't see any video inside the Composer window.

Why don't you install the Mac OS X version found on the installer DVD? Or are those plug-ins you use Windows-only?

4. Hawaga thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer. Some of them are windows only. I guess I'm bootcamping this then! ;)