Windows 7 on an iMac 2008

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by regis4u, Jun 16, 2010.

1. regis4u macrumors newbie

I've installed Windows 7 64 bit on my 2008 iMac 24" and so far everything is fine except I can't install boot camp. When I try to install from my SL disc I get a message that I can't install boot camp on my model of computer. After doing some reading on the Apple support page it seems that Windows 7 64bit is not supported for the 2008 iMac model. Has anyone with a 2008 iMac tried the 64bit version of Windows 7? Any advice/suggestions/help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. vistadude macrumors 65816

How did you install Windows 7 without boot camp partitioning?

Perhaps it's the apple software update that needs to be a 64 bit edition. I have only use the 32 bit edition, but I think you can get apple software update 64 bit edition if you install the 64 bit edition of itunes.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Usually in these cases it is sufficient to browse the OS X install CD and install BootCamp64.msi manually. Then use Apple Software Updater to get the latest version.

EDIT: This thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=843379 seems relevant, was also a 2008 iMac.

B