Windows 7 on an iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by phlydude, May 1, 2011.

1. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

Do you use the 32 or 64 bit version?

Looking to acquire my software in advance of my purchase so I can do a clean install when setting up my machine...

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

64-bit is better as 32-bit version can only use 3GB of your RAM.

3. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

4. MacHamster68, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

Pros and Cons of a 64 bit system:

You can address much more than 4GB of memory, which is ideal for avid gamers, CAD, video editors and heavy multi-taskers. However, any 32 bit software you use will still be restricted to 4GB memory – you need a 64 bit CPU, OS and applications to take full advantage of the extra RAM.
    16 bit applications will no longer run. Although this is unlikely to be a problem, if you use very old software (from the Windows 3.1 days!) then it will not work under a 64 bit OS.
    Existing 32 bit drivers no longer work.If you have older or poorly supported hardware you may find that it can no longer be used. Got a 7 year old scanner that just about works in Vista? You may not be able to get it working in 64 bit Windows 7.
    Unsigned kernel-mode drivers no longer work. Along with the issue above, the inability to run unsigned kernel mode drivers will cause problems for old hardware. (There is reportedly a way to bypass this check).
    Running some 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS could actually be slower. The additional overheads in running 32 bit software in 64 bit mode could cause a slight degradation in performance. It will take some time for 64 bit software to become the norm.

so the driver part is the most important thing or you need to find drivers on your own

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1846

5. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

I see that you didn't post what iMac you are using, so here is some things to look at if you are using an iMac older than early 2009. These units will run any version of Win 7 or vista, however OS X has no support for the 64 bit versions. Albeit, Win 7 64 will load up without any real problems. It will have no real problems with drivers other then audio. The audio driver is easy to find over on the Realtek website (Reaktek HD driver).

6. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

I would be buying the new iMac when it is made available

I'm not worried about components and accessories being compatible as all my items are Vista/Win 7 certified - I rarely use software from Win 98 or XP days and if I do, I probably didn't buy it (shareware/freeware)

Thanks

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely go 64-bit, there's no reason to run 32-bit anymore unless you're running some pretty old software.

8. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

ordered it (64-bit) from Newegg bundled with Parallels 6 (both OEM) for $145

9. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Make sure you run BCUpdateVista64.exe from the BootCamp DVD.

10. Eudall macrumors newbie

64 bit support is pretty common on new hardware/software platforms.

Also if running Win7 prof or higher then you can install XP mode for 32 bit software, and XP mode is FREE :)

11. likegadgets macrumors 6502

I run 64 bit. I have 16GB on the Mac and have assigned 4 to WIN7. So far so good. I have an old app I tried to use that refused to run on 64