Windows 7 on Boot Camp 32-bit or 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by XR4TI, May 23, 2011.

1. XR4TI, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

XR4TI macrumors member

XR4TI

I was just wondering what would be the best option to put on a new macbook pro? Will either work or is will only 32-bit?

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

If it's a current MacBook Pro, install 64-bit. Either will work though.

3. XR4TI thread starter macrumors member

XR4TI

Thank you! I'm actually hoping to buy one today if the "get a free ipod touch" is going on.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Either will work. I would rather go with a 32 bit install. It takes up much less space and you don't get 2 "Program Files" folders.

I would only go 64 bit if you're running demanding programs like adobe photoshop, video editing, or are planning to run windows full time.

5. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

True, you do save a few GB of HD space. But you also can't access more than 4GB of physical memory. For example, if you have a video card that has 1GB of memory that's subtracted from the 4GB pool as well (and now your stuck only able to use 3GB of your RAM).

Geoff Chappell - Licensed Memory in 32-Bit Windows Vista -- This apply's to Windows 7 & XP SP2+ as well

If you have a large HD, there is no reason not to install 64-bit. But if your on a 11" Macbook Air with 64GB SSD, then by all means install 32-bit (you need all the space you can get).

The second Program Files folder is there to keep things organized, it doesn't really matter where you install your apps. :p