Windows 7 on Bootcamp - Macbook Mid 09 - Desperate!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vazzyb, May 10, 2010.

1. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Press and hold the option button at bootup. After the chime you should be greeted by the boot menu. Boot into osx, then copy all of your files off the bootcamp partition, not windows or your programs just your work. Then use the disk utility in osx and delete the windows partition and start over. If something is wrong with your windows install, a lot of times it's just easier to reinstall windows than diagnosis.

2. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Most likely you wont need to copy anything. Just boot into OS X once, reboot into Windows afterwards and the freezing should stop. Windows' Save Mode should work without that trick, but that's much of a help I guess.

If it happens repeatedly then try to reset the NVRAM/PRAM. I had this occuring myself, seemingly something gets mixed up in Mac's Firmware/EFI/BIOS emulation.

3. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

just throw windows 7 in the garbage and all your problems will be solved :p

4. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

The equivalent (unhelpful) answer would be: Just throw the Mac into the garbage and your problems will be resolved. :rolleyes:

This is a Mac/Bootcamp problem, not a Windows problem.

5. robimac macrumors newbie

start up

hi i loaded windows 7 on my new i mac, i have a problem in start up on boot camp, sometimes it boots into windows and other times it freezes up and have to restart , when this happens a message also comes up saying, "disk read error occurred" in windows. Is there any solutions to this problem, ?? robimac

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Run some disccheck type tools either in windows or osx, because from your statements it sounds like your harddrive might be failing.

7. robimac macrumors newbie

How do i do that?

8. nealjack62 macrumors newbie

yeah, i agree with you

9. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

10. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Do not follow the routine described in the link for running Windows Chkdsk on a Mac!

Instead use the Windows Installation CD, use the repair routines and start the command prompt from there.

The reason is that the CD runs a native Windows enviroment that uses Windows' routines for running Chkdsk/harddisc access. But when you use Chkdsk as described in the link it will run Chkdsk *before* Windows is run in a DOS like enviroment that uses BIOS routines to access the harddrive.

Problem with the latter is that Apple's BIOS emulation is so incredibly slow that it will take hours (literally) to finish a Chkdsk run that otherwise would only takes minutes. It's even so slow that you can see the screen drawing with simple text output. Besides, there are several quirks about Apple's "BIOS" that make it seem rather unreliable, so it's not a good basis for running harddisc repair operations on. :apple: