Windows 7 on i7 Won't Boot.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ncfuser, Apr 12, 2010.

1. ncfuser macrumors regular

So I installed the 64 Windows 7 Ultimate today on my i7 iMac.
    It came up after the install just fine.
    I rebooted Windows 7 and now I get a quick single cursor then the screen goes blank and reboots to OSX.

I was able to start it from VMWare 3 just fine. I installed the drivers from the 10.6.2 install DVD (via VMWare) and rebooted again (via Bootcamp) and I get the same thing.

So I am unable to boot Windows 7 via bootcamp.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Many threads already posted on this issue -- Boot Camp installs bad graphics drivers which cause this. Also see this support doc. I fixed this on my own i7 using VMware by deleting the bad ATi driver in Fusion, then rebooting into Boot Camp and installing an up to date ATi driver (there are several other ways to get around this problem, but that's probably the easiest since you already have Fusion).

3. ncfuser thread starter macrumors regular

I did this for the install. The install went fine. Only after a reboot did I have the problem.

4. ncfuser thread starter macrumors regular

So is this what you did?
    Deleted in vmware:C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS

Booted windows 7 in bootcamp. (guess it uses default drivers?)
    Did you run the windows update to get the driver and/or this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL979

Thanks

5. Zortrium macrumors 6502

I couldn't swear that that's the exact filename I deleted (don't remember), but it looks right. If I recall correctly, one tricky thing is that both the Boot Camp 3.0 drivers and the 3.1 update (which requires first installing 3.0) install the bad ATi driver, so I think I had to deal with this problem twice. I think I installed Boot Camp 3.0, opened up VMware and deleted the driver, rebooted into W7, installed the 3.1 update, deleted the driver again, then finally rebooted into W7 and installed the latest ATi Catalyst driver from here. One more reboot and good to go.

6. ncfuser thread starter macrumors regular

Still won't boot from bootcamp. I have removed the driver and nothing.
    My try to start over :(

7. mystikjoe macrumors regular

if you deleted it properly it works. i've done it on numerous machines.

8. ncfuser thread starter macrumors regular

I booted from vmware and deleted the file listed above.
    Is there an easier/better way?

9. ncfuser thread starter macrumors regular

I fixed my problem.
    I was the way my Windows 7 was activated;)

10. CoolKen86 macrumors member

I also have a problem installing win7 on my 27" imac i7 and i wonder if anyone can help me. After I finished installing windows on boot camp the screen goes black and nothing happens from there. Is there a solution to that or do i have to install it again?