Windows 7 on iMac problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kwinten, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Kwinten macrumors newbie

Kwinten

Alright guys, got a bit of a problem here.

Firstly, I had a huge struggle installing Windows 7 through BootCamp. After the first time it rebooted during the installation process, it would not power up the screen (the computer and the setup were running, but the screen was off, not black, but off). I figured out that doing the rest of the installation through emulation software (I used VMWare Fusion) would work, and it did. Windows 7 should be fully installed, and works just fine if I boot it up through VMWare. But when I try to directly boot up from the Windows partition (not through VMWare), it shows me a flickering underscore ( _ ) for a while, then when it finally (if it does, sometimes it doesn't) goes to the window that says "Starting Windows", and you can see the logo coming up, it gives me a BSOD shortly after you can only see a fraction of the boot animation.

The error code is "STOP: 0X0000007B (followed by more numbers)"

It will give me that every time when normally booting up to the Windows partition. Like I said, booting up Windows 7 through VMWare Fusion does work. I have no idea why it does that, but I think it's driver related (like always in Windows). Or something with the HDD, but I honestly don't know that much about it.

It'd be fine if I would just use Windows for every day applications but I actually wanna install a game on it, which would run too slow under emulation.

Hope any of you guys can give me some assistance with this.

2. johnrs macrumors 6502a

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Kwinten thread starter macrumors newbie

Kwinten

Yes I have, and I am still getting the errors (in fact I can't get to my desktop, it shows the BSOD almost immediately after I choose the "Safe Mode" configuration.

Doesn't really matter but I have the latest 27" base model iMac.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The which iMac might help us figure out why your initial install went so badly. You also didn't say which Windows 7 (32/64) (HB/HP/P/U).

The fact that you can't get it to boot in safe mode seems to not point at a drivers issue ('cause in Safe Mode, only generic drivers should be loaded, which leaves two equally unpleasant and doubtful possibilities near the top of the list.

1) Boot sector virus
    2) HDD on its way out

B

6. Zonyc macrumors member

Ok there are two problems with your install. First you used VMware so it didn't install the native storage drivers like balamw said. Secondly the Windows 7 install does not install the correct display drivers which is why you're getting a black screen after "Starting Windows".

Here is the solution:

Delete your partition and start fresh. Go into boot camp assistant in OS X, delete your boot camp partition and create a new one.

Install Windows 7 as normal, it will finish its checklist, restart, the resume the checklist and restart a second time. Now this is where the fix comes in. During your second re-boot when you see press any key to boot from CD hit a key to start the install, choose your language, but this time click "repair computer" on the bottom right corner. It will search for a windows install, finally click the blank space under the text and click next. Load up command prompt and type the following:

"DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ATIKMDAG.SYS" without the quotes, this will delete the ATI vga driver which windows installs and gives you the blank screen. Close the command prompt and restart and you should be up and running. Pop in your OS X disk and install boot camp, do your windows update and you should have the proper native resolution.

If you have an nVidia card the process is the same but you delete this driver instead:

"DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NVLDDMKM.SYS" You can safely delete both drivers if you dont know the make of your vga.

This step will only work AFTER your second reboot.

Good luck!