Windows 7 on Mac Mini Server

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by EOC, Nov 18, 2009.

1. EOC macrumors newbie

I bought the mac mini server to use as a computer in my truck. I bought the server version because it has two hard drives in it. How should I go about installing windows 7 on it? I tried installing windows from a bootable flash drive but that didn't work as it wasn't visible at startup.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How did you go about building the flash drive?

Did you hold down "Option/Alt" at boot to try and choose the flash drive to boot from?

Is your goal to dual boot or Windows Only?

More details!

B

3. EOC thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows only. I just went to Fry's to get a MacBook Air superdrive and it's not recognized on boot up or within osx server:confused:

correction the superdrive did not recognize the DL dvd I burned windows on. It did recognize the original disc though.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

By original disc you mean OS X restore disc or Windows original?

SuperDrives can be finicky what media they read, but why a DL DVD? most of the legit ISOs I have seen are well under 4.5 GB. So why is yours so big?

B

5. EOC thread starter macrumors newbie

my desktop wouldn't read my single layer disc so I tried dual layer and was able to install windows fine...that's why. Anyways, Windows 7 is up and running on the mac mini! I'm about to order a solid state drive for the os and use the other internal 500 for all my media and as a traveling backup for my docs.