Windows 7 on mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CSHawkeye81, Sep 22, 2009.

1. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

I just got my new machine the other day. Loaded up Snow Leopard on one Hard drive and windows 7 on the other. Anyone else have a similar setup. Wanted to get some feedback. For most of my work I will use SL, but when I game I will load up Windows 7.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

4. Whiteyez macrumors regular

I have this setup and runs fine, no problems at all.

5. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Now i have to decide if WOW on SL runs better then on Windows 7. Same with COD 4.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I have a question about this. I have Windows 7 loaded on a dedicated drive (not via Bootcamp). However, I am baffled as to how to load up drivers (64 bit) off of my SL DVD. I get the not enough privileges, install "via setup.exe" warning. I also get the 64 bit drivers not supported (yes, it's a 64 bit Widows 7 RC install). Any ideas?

7. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Go to the Driver/Apple folder and select Bootcamp64.msi. Make sure to have user account control disabled in Vista or start program as administrator. For Seven have compatibility mode applied which is applicable by right clicking.

Now the drivers should install properly except perhaps graphics if you have something exotic.

8. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

If I/O becomes a bottle neck you may have to install the AHCI driver for the SATA drives.

9. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Bootcamp 3.0 drivers didn't worked for me with my 285 GTX.
    I needed to install the Bootcamp 2.1 drivers.

10. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

You are going to throw up in your mouth when you see how poor WoW runs on snow leopard... Windows 7 on the same card blows it away by a MINIMUM of 20-30 fps. It disgusted me with the rig in my sig

11. CSHawkeye81 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. So overall are you happy with your mac pro??

12. Abidubi macrumors 6502

I don't know what you did but for me it was a piece of cake. I have done it twice, once with the BETA 32-bit version on a bootcamp partition of my OS HD, and once with the RC 64-bit version on a seperate HD. Never had a problem. First time was with bootcamp 2.1 CD, then this last time with the bootcamp 3.0 CD.

Just a note if you keep getting random BSODs with 3.0, try to see at the bottom of the blue screen if it mentions appleHFS. If it does, delete that driver and the problem will stop, but then you wont be able to read OSX HDs from windows anymore.

13. Abidubi macrumors 6502

I don't know what you are talking about but I was getting at least 70 FPS in high pop areas with maximum possible settings in leopard. Getting 70 FPS instead of 90 or 100 really isn't a big deal. Unless you are specifically refering to snow leopard.

14. HHarm macrumors regular

What should I do?

I have an MP 2009 2.66 quad, ATi 4870, (2 x X-25M raid0 for OSX 10.6.1 & X-25M for Win7). When I install Win7 64bit RC2 (with Boot Camp) the system is stable. When I install the Windows part of Boot Camp from the SL disc the system becomes totally unstable. After every boot Win7 crashes to a blue screen in less than a minute. I guess I can live without the device drivers but I'd like to have the full Boot Camp functionality with restarting etc.

EDIT: I don't know how I managed to miss the part about the compatibility mode. Got it working now!

15. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Considering you haven't said what your problem is... there isn't much anyone can tell you. Did you read the rest of the thread and try anything already said? Did you even try to see what the blue screen says?

16. Dr. Cheesesteak macrumors member

Do any of you have problems with your wired networking inside Win7?

I never have any hiccups in OS X, but if I'm downloading a large file in Windows eventually Network Settings just says that the ethernet cable is unplugged and nothing fixes it except for restarting the machine.

This happened when I was on Win 7 RC and just the other day I switched to Win Server 2008 R2 and the same thing is happening - so I don't think it is the install.

17. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

Are you speaking of Bootcamp or Virtual Machine (Parallels or VMWare Fusion)? Did had problems with VMWare, I just added in the a new network in the network settings section of my Virtual Partition. That worked for me. Otherwise I would just re-install the network driver from the Bootcamp disc.