Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Hi, I'm thinking about installing windows 7 on my 13' inch MBP. I had it on my previous Mac and it seemed to slow down it's performance of my Mac side. Will it slow my Mac side down? I also only had one license for Windows 7, but still have the software, Can I re-install it without paying for it again? I only bought it a few weeks ago.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hi, I'm thinking about installing windows 7 on my 13' inch MBP. I had it on my previous Mac and it seemed to slow down it's performance of my Mac side. Will it slow my Mac side down? I also only had one license for Windows 7, but still have the software, Can I re-install it without paying for it again? I only bought it a few weeks ago.

Installing Windows via Boot Camp should not affect the speed of your OS X install. The only cases where it might is if the OS X partition is super full or if there is something funky with the partitions on an SSD due to OS X nor having TRIM support.

What did you buy? If you bought an OEM/SYstem Builder Edition, the license binds it forever with the first hardware configuration you installed it on. (Though you can usually get it to install and activate by callling Microsoft.) If you bought retail it will install and activate fine.

B

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I bought Windows7 Home Premium. On my old mac (2010 15' MPB), I split the hard drive between WIn7 and Mac OSX. Was this why it seemed to be so slow?

apd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
I bought Windows7 Home Premium. On my old mac (2010 15' MPB), I split the hard drive between WIn7 and Mac OSX. Was this why it seemed to be so slow?

How were you running windows - as a virtual machine or via Boot Camp? Virtual machines are very RAM intensive. Boot camp shouldn't slow the Mac side down at all as they are separate systems.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
How were you running windows - as a virtual machine or via Boot Camp? Virtual machines are very RAM intensive. Boot camp shouldn't slow the Mac side down at all as they are separate systems.

If Boot Camp:

How full was the OS X partition? Was it an SSD or HDD?

B

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
It was with Bootcamp, and it was an HDD and I split it between Windows and Max OSX.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
As above, the bootcamp install and OSX are entirely and completely separate. There is no way for bootcamp to (directly) affect the performance of your OSX install.

However, indirectly it could. The most obvious way would be if you made the bootcamp partition too large. OSX likes plenty of spare HD space to run optimally.

Provided you be sure keep your bootcamp partition a reasonable size, you shouldn't have issues.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if snow leopard has gotten very slow lately? I bootcamped my MacBook the first day I got it and it could boot to snow leopard 10.6.1 in 20 seconds from an off state. Since then, I have upgraded the ram to 8 gb from 2 gb and installed 10.6.6, while also uninstalling a lot of the bundled software and my boot times are well over 1 minute. My Mac os partition is nowhere near full and actually more empty than it was before.

heatfanaman

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
If I install windows, Is it easy to delete if I find it is slowing down my mac side for any reason?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.