Windows 7 on Macbook air heating up both sides!! Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by DONW999, May 28, 2012.

1. DONW999 macrumors newbie

Hello, hi, hi, everybody!

New here, so appreciate you input!

I have a MacBook Air 13" late 2011. After I got it, I put Windows 7 on it and up until last week, the only hot part on the whole computer after prolonged use is the top left hand corner over the keyborad, where the CPU is, I read. Admitedly, I'm using it for 3D work. But nevertheless, top left hand corner was the only place that was hot.

Unfortunately, over time it has cumulated a lot of unnecessary data over the few months of usage, so I purged the windows from Boot camp and reinstalled whole Windows. Now, the whole thing, across the keyboard, heat up, rapidly. Don't really know why! So if any of you have any idea, or have a similar problem, H...E....L...P... ...T_T.

The heat is really ruining the speed and Im using it for work!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all you input!??

DONW999

2. DONW999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Come on, people!!!

Anybody has the similar problem!? Maybe should I just reinstall Windows again!?

3. auhlixer macrumors regular

It seems to be like this on all macbooks whether it be air, pro or the regular one.

Ive had the 1st macbook pro and the early 2011 15" mbp and they both got hot as balls

4. laetusviator, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

laetusviator macrumors member

laetusviator

3d work will obviously tax the system pretty hard, so it will definitely heat up a lot. It's not clear from your post though, is it now heating up even when you're NOT using 3d software?

Some things to check: are the fans turning on fast enough... are the fans running constantly... are the fan ducts clogged with dust? You might want to try to find some 3rd party fan control software to adjust them so they come on sooner in windows.

When I play games in bootcamp the top of my mbp gets too hot to touch.

5. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

The power profile should be set to Balanced. Under advanced settings, make sure cooling is set to Active and Link Power Mode to Maximum Power Savings. This significantly reduces idle temperature. You can also do the AHCI hack to get better performance and efficiency which seems to help the MBP run more like a Windows laptop. One caveat is that Sleep does not function. Therefore it would not be good for using Windows as a primary OS on a laptop.

6. DONW999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reply to laetusviator

laetusviato, thanks for the reply. The computer won't heat up as much when it isn't running 3D software and even when the power adapter is plugged in, it didn't used to be that hot anywhere. Now, when running 3D software, both top corners will heat up dramatically and very rapidly, with or without power(I understand the battery heat up as well). The fan works fine, I think, but to keep the thing cool enough, I also run an auxiliary fan from a USB blow air at the back for the computer. It is very noisy.

So as I said, it used to be only top left hand corner heat up during work, is there something wrong with my computer or Windows OS?

BTW, just to clarify, in OSX, it seems all fine!!

----------

Thanks, Man, I will give a try and see what happens!

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Windows has nowhere near the power management that OSX does. It'll always run hotter even when idling.