windows 7 on macbook pro 2010 feedback

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lokster, Jun 7, 2015.

1. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

Hey guys, i first got my macbook to fulfill my sideline job of being a designer/photographer but i have an Engineering job now that requires windows laptops or windows OS to run specific CAD/ instrumentation programs.

My 2010 macbook is still pretty solid, i replaced the battery with a brand new one giving me around 4-5 hours on yosemite while browsing and designing.

What I'm wondering is, will windows 7 be good for the mac? like will it be compatible and run smoothly? will i get two hours of battery life on it at least? id like people who have installed windows 7 give me their opinion.

I'm planning to completely backup my stuff and wipe everything out.
    Remove the optical drive and 1tb drive and install two 500gb HDD.
    Install windows in the secondary partition and install OS X in the primary partition

Or would i be better off just getting a brand new i5 windows laptop?
    downside of windows laptop
    screen, so far the MacBooks still give the best display, retina or not the colors are pretty good.
    bad battery , i know batteries die faster on a windows laptop after a few months use.

an ultrabook would be alright, but I'm still deciding on the most affordable move i can make.

any and all input appreciated

2. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Windows 7 itself will run fine on a 2010 MBP. You won't have problems and should get about the same battery life as you get with Yosemite.
    The problem I see with this, is running CAD software on a Core 2 Duo machine from 2010. It will probably struggle.

3. lokster thread starter macrumors 6502

lokster

its nothing complex as 3D modeling, more for blueprinting of antennas, and a few vendor specific software for accessing microwave routers.

Thanks for making me feel a little more confident in upgrading and adding windows to my mbp :D

4. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

No AutoCAD or similar 3D software? You should be ok then.

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I run Windows 7 Enterprise on my mid-2012 MacBook Pro 13". All of the hardware works great and it runs really smoothly. The only two areas where Boot Camp lacks in comparison to OS X is less battery life (presumably due to Windows power management) and the trackpad lacks certain OS X features.