windows 7 on macbook pro, long boot times problem help

maxspeed017

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2009
hello guys, i just installed windows 7 on my macbook pro. I deleted all the mac os x partition and just installed windows by itself. Everything works fine but it takes a real long time to boot up windows because t kinda stays locked at th start with a blinking cursur for about a minute. Then windows starts to boot up. Anyway to take off the blinking cursur at the start off and just make windows boot right away.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't want to make the accusation but you're probably running a pirated version of Windows 7. It stays at the blinking cursor for a bit because it's doing things in the background to bypass Windows 7 activation.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Lol. I've got the same situation here. :D
Before Windows 7 starts to boot, there's a white "_" blinking for about 30 seconds on a black screen.
Yea... I think I know what's causing that. :rolleyes:

macrmf

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Yes it is related with windows 7 activation. You have to make changes to your boot sector.
Pretty sure it is against guidelines to talk more on this subject, but a solution is out there.

littleasian

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
whether you have a pirated copy or not, previously apple had not released full comptability drivers for win 7. even with a legitimate version you would still see a blinking cursor.

as far as i know, apple released official windows 7 boot camp drivers a few days ago so search those and install them and see if that gets rid of your flashing cursor.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
whether you have a pirated copy or not, previously apple had not released full comptability drivers for win 7. even with a legitimate version you would still see a blinking cursor.

as far as i know, apple released official windows 7 boot camp drivers a few days ago so search those and install them and see if that gets rid of your flashing cursor.
You would still get the blinking cursor but it only shows briefly before actually getting to the Windows load screen (Windows Logo). The timing is actually significant - legit being a few seconds, pirated being up to a min or more. Windows 7 drivers have nothing to do with the loading process and even that, it was to fix the red light/audio issues and the trackpad (maybe AirPort) but other than that, everything else was working.

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
Ha! Caught out big time, but the file posted above is the cure... it's nothing to do with Activation it's the BIOS that's messed up, occurs on some, but not all Macs, my idiot parent's bought the software and it still happened :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.