Windows 7 on Macbook Retina

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AsgeirG, Dec 22, 2013.

1. AsgeirG macrumors newbie

Hi, i have installed windows 7 on 13" macbook pro retina. And i checked how much space it had and it shows "4GB out of 18GB"???

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. AsgeirG thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhm, no idea. I just did exactly as on youtube.

4. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

What I recommend you do is install Windows 7 via bootcamp and make a partition. Then download the drivers from Apple to use the gestures in Windows 7. Just a heads up that the battery life drops about 1 hour since it constantly runs the discrete GPU.

5. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

32 bit versions of Windows can only see 4 GB. Somewhere on Apple's site you can find out which versions of Windows can be installed on whatever version of OSX you're using. Mavericks requires 64 bit Win 7.

edit: Ooops, maybe you were talking about disk space, not RAM. Well, Windows does use up space, and it also (by default) makes a fixed size swap file the same size as your RAM. You can turn that off in control panel, memory management somewhere or other if you think you have enough RAM.

6. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

You mean you followed a tutorial on youtube? if so can you link so we know what you are talking about? It will help us immensely. Base install of Windows7 is about 20GB, so I don't think you are talking about the partition size..

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Trackpad gestures don't work in Windows, at least not with the drivers Apple supplies. Also, the battery drain is more on the order of 50% or more because of the discreet GPU. However, this is less of an issue in the OP's case, as there are no 13-inch Macbooks with a dGPU.