Windows 7 on MBP i7 13" & Battery Life

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pazz, Jun 1, 2011.

1. pazz macrumors regular

Like probably many others I'm a bit apprehensive of switching over to Mac OS. The hardware seems to make perfect sense so I just need to satisfy my fears regarding the software.

1) Is a Macbook Pro Core i7 13" capable of running just about anything (albeit GPU intensive apps) you can throw at it within a virtualised Windows 7 session? If so what apps will it potentially struggle with?

2) What kind of battery life can I expect to obtain doing basic tasks on the above MBP (with SSD) in a virtualised Windows 7 session?

3) Would boot camp on the above system improve battery life and performance?

4) I presume within boot camp I am still able to access the Mac OS partition? (for example if I have documents present on Mac OS partition I would like to open using Windows 7)

Thank you your wisdom is very much appreciated!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1. Pretty much anything. Any intensive program will bog down, though (on any computer).

2. Worse than what you'd get not running the VM, but not as bad as if you were in BootCamp.

3. See above.

4. You'd need a Windows utility that would allow it to read HFS+.

3. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

4. pazz thread starter macrumors regular

Great info! Thanks for this.

I have read this article a while back but to be honest it didnt help eliminate the fears I have about whether OSX will be right for me.

For example, I have a bulk file renaming utility I run on MP3's which extracts ID3 tag data and rename's the file name with defined ID3 criteria. Helps clean up file names. I've just realised they dont do a Mac OS compatible version of the utility :mad:

5. sephstyler macrumors newbie

FWIW, I've got a 2011 13" MBP (i7) and was bitterly dissappointed initially when I got it, as the battery performance was MUCH less than my 2010 C2D 13".

But, as of the past week, I booted into OSX, and installed the EFI update, since then, on a reasonable power plan in W7, im getting 1.5 ~ 3 Hours MORE....

I got 5.5 Hours out of my laptop last night, screen roughly 50% brightness and surfing the web.

Much better!