Windows 7 on MBP, w/o optical drive - (replaced with SSD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by noobfromdk, Oct 6, 2013.

1. noobfromdk macrumors newbie

Hey, anyone know the solution to this since my mbp doesnt have a optical drive anymore? I want to install windows on my old HDD which i placed in the optical drive bay. anyone who has done this?

thanks!

2. sarakn, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

My mac knowledge is very limited as I'm waiting to purchase my first mbp. I plan to purchase one without optical drive but will install windows 7. I think you can copy the windows .iso file to a *thumb* drive and install from there.

Maybe the pros can chime in.

3. yangchewren macrumors regular

A thumbdrive and google are you friends for this.

An old article from ars technica that may still be relevant:

http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

4. psingh01 macrumors 65816

What did you do with the old optical drive? i got a small usb case when I bought the harddrive mount that goes in the optical bay so i could use it as an external dvd drive. Alternatively i've used a large external usb bluray drive. There is always a need for one ever so often, so might as well get a cheap one.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

yep, i've done it.. pretty easy. does require a disk drive, but i just used my iMac at the time to put the file on my external HDD.

6. digglesworth macrumors member

I did the same thing as this and it works great. As for Windows installs, use a USB thumbdrive.

7. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I'll be impressed if anyone can get this to work, Bootcamp as well as trying to install Windows without Bootcamp failed with an optibay HDD, even trying to install to the main SSD. It just doesn't work, at least with the newer cMBPs. Pulled the optibay out and boom, works fine.

Good luck, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.